Author Topic: entertaining one self then,.  (Read 242 times)

Alfred

entertaining one self then,.
« on: Jan 24, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
Back in the past i seem to remember of numerous clubs aimed at getting boys and girls off the streets and so the boys club then came into existence, and there were boxing clubs for would be world champions,  also dart teams , competing against other clubs,

some parks then had tennis courts, as well as outdoor  open air  lido,s where swimming was sought after, particularly if the day was really hot and people wanted to cool off, keeping cool whilst exercising.

these clubs had a varying degree of  entertainment then according to the size of the club how ever the larger  ones had a darts board. some even a snooker table,  table tennis . badminton and others a chess board all to which the youth of those days had some thing to burn their energies on ,

in those times there were also  cycling clubs, where if you had a sturdy  reliable  bike  you were accepted, as the riders would go out on a week end , usually on a Saturday, and if the weather was fine and sunny, then you were sure to have a good days cycling in front of you  ,

how ever  should you be unlucky to get a puncture then other members, would rally round and soon have you back on the road  so these keen cyclist would  set out on a sixty mile ide or less and stop to have lunch from the saddle bag that were fixed behind the seat,
which many also carried a puncture our fit as well as lemonade etc,

so in those times you could have a really enjoyable day,
sadly today its completely different, as many youths tend to join groups instead ,so is it any wonder why we hear so much of violence where as in the past the energies spent were spent on friendly outdoor pursuits instead,

Q; do you think boys and cycling clubs could return and put enjoyment and pleasure in front of violence,
do you remember those days , if so what were your interests,

Michael Rolls

Re: entertaining one self then,.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:42:15 PM »
 I do remember them - winter time I would thrash down to Worthing - about 130 miles round trip IIRC
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:07:28 PM »
Heaven forbid Alfred, dozens of cyclist all together on the road, bad enough one or two!!!!!!   Youth clubs are a good thing though.

TREBOR

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:26:25 AM »
Youth clubs used to be a good thing. Nowadays they would just be passing drugs to one another.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »
I imagine that would depend on who was running the youth club

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:07:34 PM »
There are clubs, my youngest GC goes to Scouts. Both girls go to drama classes, one also does gymnastics, the other, dance classes. The boy is climbing the grades of some martial art, and belongs to a junior cricket club.

However, none of these are free, they’re fortunate that their mums and dads can, and do, pay subs and fees.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Reen

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »
Youngsters who's parents can afford all kinds of clubs and activities are so lucky and I do wonder if any of the clubs etc have any kind of concessions available for the less well off.
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can get someone else to do today. :)

TREBOR

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:18:01 PM »
Ive seen threads on other forums complaining that any kind of company or organization which offers free and reduced prices is quickly siezed upon by comfortable middle class parents because they know how to "work the system".

When we were kids there were scouts, guides etc and also thinks like dance and sports related classes for kids. But most parents we knew could not have afforded private dance, music etc lessons for their children. Children  spent a lot more time informally amusing themselves in thos days and it was taken for granted. On non school days I would head out after lunch and my parents never saw me until it was time for dinner (which we called tea).

Nowadays it all play dates and "helicopter" parenting. Parents become deeply enmeshed in their childrens lives and there is a downside for all this. Kids dont learn how to choose friends wisely, navigate relationships, or organize things for themselves as we did. The parents are still worrying about their offspring even when they are at uni, which means they are adults. From the time I left home at 22 my parents had little or no say in my life.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:53:39 AM »
Times change.  My grandchildren don’t have the same freedoms as even their parents did, but it’s not necessarily worse, just different. In the fifties we played in the street, occasionally moving out of the way of a vehicle.  Thats not possible now given the numbers of cars 🚘.

Also, far more mothers work, so childcare is necessary for many families, after school and holiday clubs.

Both my kids left home in their teens, my daughter was working abroad by 19. We’ve never interfered in their choices, but they would talk to us about them.  There’s a difference between worrying about one’s children (that never stops) and ‘having your say’. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:22:29 PM »
Micky and I loved cycling.  We cycled to the sea side or to woodland....I had a basket in front of my handlebar, with a nice pick-nic....

It was a very hot summer, and I had my short white tennis dress on.  The heat had melted the tarmac of the road, and I was covered in it !!!  gmx