Author Topic: Are you a Pessimist or an Optimist ?  (Read 321 times)

granny moss

Are you a Pessimist or an Optimist ?
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:33:35 PM »
I am a Pessimist, because I see my bottle of wine is always half empty......Micky was an Optimist, because his bottle was always half full....
 Which are you ?  gmx

Michael Rolls

Re: Are you a Pessimist or an Optimist ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:45:08 PM »
pessimist - expect the worst and you are less likely to be disappointed
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:02:19 PM »
You sound like my OH Mike!

I’m pretty much an optimist. Life’s too short to worry about what we can’t control, and I’d rather look for positives in my world than negatives.  However, I do temper my expectations. 😄
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

stellamaris

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:25:28 PM »
I think Optimism and Pessimism are hand in hand for me.  Sometimes I am very doubtful  but wildly delighted when things turn out right.  Other times I am filled with enthusiasm but always with a Plan B to deal with the fallout.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:40:02 PM »
There is quite a body of research on optimists and pessimists.

A 30-year study by the Mayo Clinic in Rochester found that patients with a pessimistic outlook on life's problems have a 19% increase in risk of death when their expected life span is compared to their actual life span.

Reen

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:20:39 PM »
pessimist - expect the worst and you are less likely to be disappointed
Mike

I have thought that many a time myself Mike  :)

Edited to add this - thought it might be of interest :
https://www.healthline.com/health/positive-side-negative-thinking

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can get someone else to do today. :)

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:59:38 AM »
According to my son I am the most negative person he knows, so pesimist I must be.  I agree  with Mike, I think the worst and if its not so bad its a bonus.

xetog

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:24:37 AM »
All my life until recently I have thought of myself as an optimist, but now I look at the mess being generated by the best protected, best educated generations in history I find myself turning to pessimism. Whist the road has not often been smooth and politics has thrown up people like Wilson, Heath and Blair (to mention a few that got to the top that should have been drowned at birth), times have been such that I could look forward to a better country in a better world.  But now the next generation is in charge and looking at the woke generation to follow, I cannot see any future for this country at all.  When I see elected politicians bought to their knees over whether the PM was given a slice of cake on his birthday when next week we could be in WW3, I despair.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

TREBOR

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:08:44 AM »
i just try to push the bad things to one side because I cant control them. So I suppose that makes me an optimist. But I always like to have a plan B.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.

Reen

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
I do like the comment I read somewhere that said : If plan A fails, don't worry - there is another 25 letters in the alphabet  ;D
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can get someone else to do today. :)

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:25:07 PM »
I make me despair when papers are so disgusting at picking on people the way they do....When the world is on the brink of destruction.....caused by some mad irresponsible males with overdoses of bad testosterones..... 

And there are thousands of immigrants on the other side of the channel  waiting to come to England because they have been told that England is the best Country to go to....
Been optimistic in these times is a bit of a wistful thinking.....gmx

Jacqueline

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:52:40 PM »
All my life until recently I have thought of myself as an optimist, but now I look at the mess being generated by the best protected, best educated generations in history I find myself turning to pessimism. Whist the road has not often been smooth and politics has thrown up people like Wilson, Heath and Blair (to mention a few that got to the top that should have been drowned at birth), times have been such that I could look forward to a better country in a better world.  But now the next generation is in charge and looking at the woke generation to follow, I cannot see any future for this country at all.  When I see elected politicians bought to their knees over whether the PM was given a slice of cake on his birthday when next week we could be in WW3, I despair.

Mike.X

You are not wrong Mike, far more important things are being brushed to one side at the moment.  Poor old Britain is on a downward slope, if we could come back in 100 years time I dread to think what this county will be like, a third world country with a third world population.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:34:04 PM »
Or even a third OF the world’s population
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:53:05 PM »
This year a pessimist deffo !