Author Topic: An irritation  (Read 314 times)

Michael Rolls

An irritation
« on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:50:10 PM »
Since Monday of last week, every time I want to log into my MBNA account I have to go through the rigmarole of being phoned with a one time password (actually a 4 digit number). Why?
I can understand an occasional use of the procedure, but every bloody day? I have been an on-line customer since March 2008, been using this particular computer since early October - so nothing new. Oh, and to the best of my memory, they have never done this before, unlike TSB (but that's another irritation!)
Mike 🤬🤬
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

TREBOR

Re: An irritation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:06:51 PM »
This happens to me all the time but only for financial dealings such as Paypal, online banking, using credit/debit cards etc. Santander are very sensitive and when they issue a replacement credit or debit card they insist upon this OTP for the first few transactions - even comparatively small amounts - and at odd times thereafter.

One of my other cards I have used for quite large transactions abroad and they have never sent an OTP. Go figure!
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:15:56 PM »
It isn’t a problem, but it is so irritating!
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:26:51 PM »
I see the day when all the accounts we have on net, will do the same....Sainsburys is the worst most irritating...The Bank are easy.  After all my filling in ID n. and other security ..At a certain point the bank rings me. I pick up the phone and they put on my screen a 4 digit number which I key in and then I can go ahead....

This is to make it more difficult to scammers. Hope it works ? gmx

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:37:11 PM »
It may be good for security but its a pain in the bum, my mobile phone, rarely used is kept in my handbag which is in the bedroom unless I go out with it, often the battery has run out as I don't use the thing.  So you go online and they want to send a code to your phone, find the phone, battery gone, find the charger grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:54:32 PM »
Mine gives me the choice of a text to my mobile, or entering the 3 digits on the back of my card.

granny moss

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:37:07 AM »
Yes, Jacqueline....I do resent having to keep a mobile only for Sainsburys to send me a code that lasts 10 minutes....when the signal in the village is low...Big problem !!!

The Bank is easy, they use the landline phone....I would change supermarket...but I think they all follow each other......gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:44:49 AM »
I haven't let my banks know my mobile number, so they have to use the landline. The reason is that mobile coverage around here is a bit patchy; coupled with my poor hearing, conversations on the mobile can sometimes be pretty fraught
Mike