Author Topic: I've managed to grow a Walnut tree  (Read 1181 times)

cheddar-caveman

I've managed to grow a Walnut tree
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
Very chuffed. Last year, knowing we were movie, I planted three of our Walnuts in a pot of compost and two of them are sprouting, about 4" tall at the moment. I did put them in the fridge for a couple of months over winter as apparently they like a bit of cold?
The reason we want a tree is that my Father gave us the current one around 15 years ago as a sapling, and they are actually becoming quite a scarce thing so we will keep the strain going!
Any way, I love Walnuts!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Beannie

Re: I've managed to grow a Walnut tree
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:48:05 AM »
Very chuffed. Last year, knowing we were movie, I planted three of our Walnuts in a pot of compost and two of them are sprouting, about 4" tall at the moment. I did put them in the fridge for a couple of months over winter as apparently they like a bit of cold?
The reason we want a tree is that my Father gave us the current one around 15 years ago as a sapling, and they are actually becoming quite a scarce thing so we will keep the strain going!
Any way, I love Walnuts!

Do you mean putting the walnuts in the fridge or the actual pot ? Any idea how long before you get an actual walnut darling . I've tried lemon pips and a nectarine stone just for fun but no joy . Well done to you xxx

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »
The item on growing walnuts is intriguing, not something I would have thought of CC do tell how it fares!
     I haven't planted for colour or anything else in my patio garden this year and its so miserable, I got a kick out of the Fig tree (it's prolific should Asda wish to be supplied!) Walnuts to crack at Christmas with the Port....brilliant ;D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
I planted lots of flowers this year firenze but unfortunately have a problem with allergic asthma and the pollen is getting me.  The beautiful Jasmine bush seems to be the worst offender.

I do envy you your figs.  Can you remember what type it is?  I think I'll buy one but it would have to be suitable for the north.

firenze

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »
Sheila ...do grow the Fig I get such a lot of pleasure from mine both foliage and fruit.  It's in a big pot now and fills its place, I've discarded a lot of early fruit to allow good size ones even so I have another crop to thin out so I'll get two flushes if a good summer. First crop is  good size now, do it sheila you are not as northern East Coast as me I'm 30 miles below Bridlington.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Alfred

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
my sons next door neighbour has planted a banana tree and at the moment it is about 8 ft tall whether or not it will get any bigger and again whether or not at some time inn the future will bear bananas is any ones guess, but for  sure since our climate has got warmer its surprising just what you can grow.

as I mentioned a while ago my next door neighbour had grown black aa well as  green grapes, so its interesting, as  a few years ago you couldn't grow anything like that but now you can, ???

Alfred,