Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 4885 times)

Chrisjay

Re: Holidays
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
Oh Caminito how lovely and how proud you must be your son continues with your example if only other people made the effort.

In my own small way I do make an effort as last year I took several pensioners with no transport to the supermarket for groceries when we had the bad snow (50 mile round trip) and I have done the same this year (although a shorter distance).  Its not much but if everyone did a little ....................

Hugh

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
Back to holidays. Have you got your flight date yet for Hong Kong Chris. Not long now to The Chinese new year 3rd February, its now the turn of the rabbit.
Just hope the weather improves in the new year or we could both be stuck rather than jetting off to warmer weather.

Chrisjay

« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
No I will not book until a few days before as I do not need to be there for a specific day, time or date and so I get the very best deal available.

Do you know from HK you can fly to Australia for $300 HKD (Hong Kong Dollars) which is about £24 so I may try to have a few days tacked on there as well.

Again as I do not need to book accommodation or airport shuttle I can go whenever.  I always get on the plane and set my watch to HK time and sleep on their time saves jet lag every time.  I also usually take night flights so I get there in day light and can enjoy right from stepping off the plane.

We should have a discussion about airports as HK is the most efficient I have ever travelled to or from and I have gone through a lot ;D

caminito

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
Quote from chris
Oh Caminito how lovely and how proud you must be your son continues with your example if only other people made the effort.

Hi Chris ..
Yes ,I am very proud of both my sons .They are caring people.
In 2008 , when I was living in Spain , my mother who was 89 at the time , became very disabled with her Arthritis .
She suddenly went downhill with her health . I of course was worried and wanted to get back to the UK as quickly as possible to be there for her.
My sons told me not to worry ,as they would see to all her needs. She told me  that nobody could have done more and I should take my time to return back to the UK.
My eldest son and his wife would , shop , wash , clean , and bathe her .They lived 15 mins away by car .
My younger son looked after her doctors and hospital trips .
I am proud that they were brought up as caring people.

On another note , when I went to BsAs in 2004 , I met a family who had lost everything when the Argentinian banks literally locked
their doors during the economic depression.
I and 5 other friends , send money to them every month . It's not a lot but enough for them to live !
They are in their eighties ,so finding work is not an option now. We will continue to do this until the end !

Also ,because my wife and I are animal lovers , we supported , whilst living in Spain , and still do now , a young Spanish lady ,who looks after abandoned cats and dogs in the area where we used to live .Our own cat that we transported  from Spain on our return ,was a four week old kitten that my wife found in the street
She is now 5 yrs old and is my baby ! She sleeps on our bed at night and if it gets cold she creeps under the Duvet with me and cuddles
up  ;D

So ,if somebody infers that I am not a CARING person then I say b*ll*cks  !

Chrisjay

« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
We know from the tone of your postings on this forum that you ARE a caring person so do not bother with the views of the mentally challenged.

Glad to know you as a friend  :-*

Hugh

« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
Its a shame you don't live near us Caminito we could have got together for a drink.

Just got in touch with Maywalker she's OK, and will be back on line soon.

caminito

« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Why my argentiniam friends lost everything was because Carlos Menem (president ) pegged the Peso to the US$.
When it all went belly up , the banks took peoples US$ deposits and converted 1 to 1 back to the Peso making it basically worthless !
Also the banks were locked and the ATM machines only paid out about the equivalent of £10 as and when they worked.
The little my friends had put aside for their old age , now became loose change.
Joaquim ( the husband ) had worked as a general handyman ( enough just to live on ) and had saved for the future by earning some money playing the Bandoneon at weekends with a tango band.
He now has Rheumatism in his hands so can't do this anymore .
Such a lovely and interesting guy , who was to proud to take our help at first .
He took a lot of persuading .

Thanks ,Chris for your kind remarks . Maybe we can meet up in the future.
I had a Dutch friend for six years ( unfortunately he died two yrs ago ) . We never met but became great buddies as collectors of
Argentine tango music . We used to send copies of CDs to each other . I have kept lots of his emails which I refer to from time to time !
Before anybody mentioned it , this music is out  of copyright !

Chrisjay

« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
Hugh and I have already met as you know he was a great help when I moved and I am meeting up with Granny Mac in the New Year she also lives near Hugh and I. Really when you think about it with technology it has become a small world with huge horizons to explore that once we could only have dreamed of.

So whenever you think we can get together I'm up for it.  I was on a penpal forum in the USA and we used to get together once a year from all around the world and we used to host the reunion in a different country ever year with the host country members providing food and accommodation I have had some wonderful journeys this way and had some interesting house guests including an American (rather large weight wise as well as numbers) doing Irish dancing practice in their bedrooms to my chandeliers horror  ;D ;D ;D