Author Topic: Houseplants  (Read 1441 times)

Mondays Child

Houseplants
« on: Oct 08, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
As I've mentioned in my introduction 1st post I have recently moved into a small 1 bed bungalow and I'm trying to make it into my little nest hopefully before Christmas.
I could do with some advice about what houseplants to get.
I don't like plants that are heavily scented but would like plants that help clean the air and that can help oxygenate the room to help with my breathing problems.
The lounge faces south and is in full sun as is the bathroom but the bedroom and kitchen faces north and although it gets light it doesn't get a lot of sun. All the window ledges are wide enough for plant pots. I'm not really green fingered so they would need to be plants that can be ignored now and again.

Sheila

Re: Houseplants
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »
Variegated ivy is easy and I think it is one of the plants that cleans the air.  Spider plants might also be suitable.

For pretty, how about an orchid?  They thrive on neglect.  Just pour some rain water through the pot occasionally, let it drain and that's it.  When the flower dies, put it out of sight and it will probably flower next year.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
Hi M-C..Oxalis triangularis (Purple Shamrock). Mostly grown outdoors but makes an unusual and lovely, easy-care house plant. Goes prettily to sleep at night, limits it's own spread so no need for much re-potting, if you forget to water it, it just hibernates and waits til you remember. Check it out here.

http://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/purple-shamrock
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »
Nice one zoony.  Our neighbour has some of this in the garden.  Shamrock has a bad reputation for spreading but this type seems to be o.k.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
We have Spider Plants that are from one that my M-I-L had thirty years ago! They are very tolerant of just about any condition, can be neglected, dry out and still recover. Easy to propagate etc. Almost all green/white but do have small, white flowers on a regular basis. Size can also be controlled by the size of the pot they are in!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

stellamaris

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
I too am a fan of spider plants - mine are ancient and vigorous.  What I like about them also, is that they don't attract any plant pests, one of my rules in choosing house plants. And they are non-poisonous for pets.

There are some palms that are good air cleaners - the parlour palm [bit boring] and the metallic palm which is lovely.  Both fairly indifferent to their treatment.

We once had a swiss cheese plant. They are really good at absorbing anything in the air.  They are fabulous plants but ours grew so big that we donated it to the jumble sale.  We found out years later that they are inclined to be rather poisonous to the susceptible, but we hadn't suffered at all.  When it was very big it did seem to develop a personality which I found quite spooky ;D
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Austrian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:05:48 AM »
Hi there
Which sort of house plants are common in the UK ?
Yesterday I went to buy a rubber plant but looking at a Yucca Palm I decided to wait  until temperature rises to about +10 degrees Celsius , otherwise she wouldn't  survive Transport.

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
Well done for mastering posting photos already Austrian.  I have been on here for years and haven't managed yet, despite instructions from CC.   We have an African Violet, variegated ivy and various plants that I have acquired as cuttings so have no idea what they are!  I don't have many talents but growing things seems to be one of the few I have.

I grow chilli plants by the windows in the summer and freeze them as they mature.  On the patio there are tubs with rosemary, chives, mint etc.

Dickie

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
Hi there
Which sort of house plants are common in the UK ?
Yesterday I went to buy a rubber plant but looking at a Yucca Palm I decided to wait  until temperature rises to about +10 degrees Celsius , otherwise she wouldn't  survive Transport.

My god I've been here over a year now and I still have to ask caveman to post a picture for me . How did you do that Austrian pleaseeeee plus I loved spider plants especially when little babies appeared on them all . I did one time have a yukka but when I moved it sadly died xxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me