Author Topic: NHS Low Income Scheme  (Read 803 times)

Granny49

NHS Low Income Scheme
« on: Oct 30, 2016, 12:19:48 PM »
Thank you so much Chris for giving us a separate board for benefits.  I thought it was worth putting those we know about under the name of the benefit so have copied this pretty much word for word from the Warm Home thread:

If you receive Pension Guarantee Credit you should get the HC2 Certificate automatically.  If you haven't, let the Pension people know.

If you do not receive the Pension (Guarantee) Credit but are on a low income with under £16,000 in savings you may be able to get help with some NHS items.  Depending on your income and your circumstances you may get the NHS element of the items free or pay a reduced amount.  You need to fill in the form HC1 and, if eligible, you would receive either an HC3 Certificate - reducing the NHS element you have to pay - or an HC2 which gives you the NHS element free.

The items it covers are

*NHS Part or full cost of dental treatment
*Part or full cost of NHS Sight tests (although these are often offered free by the optician)
*NHS Part or full cost of a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses (even with 'full cost' you may still have to pay for anything the voucher does not cover)
*NHS wigs and fabric supports
*Part or full refund of necessary costs of travel to receive NHS treatment

This is one of those that many people who are not on Pension Credit but on a low income often do not realise they can get and it is worth applying to make sure.

This is not yet an on-line application but you can download the form or order it here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.