Author Topic: Council Tax - Severely mentally impaired (SMI) person discount  (Read 3781 times)

Granny49

This can apply to people with dementia but also to those with other mental illness.
The Council Tax rules say they must be 'severely mentally impaired', - this includes people who have been diagnosed as suffering with severe and enduring mental health issues including Alzheimer's disease, other forms of dementia and strokes.

For pensioners the person concerned would need to be receiving Attendance Allowance and their council would contact their doctor to check the diagnosis.

This is not means tested and may mean that person is exempt from Council Tax.  This will affect the council tax differently depending on the number of eligible adults in the household.

I did this for my mother and did find it took a while as they contacted the doctor, waited for a reply, etc.

It looks as if most if not all councils have a form on line but you need to check your council's web site as each has their own.

As well as applying to pensioners this would apply to a person in the household who is younger than State Pension Age with a diagnosis of an enduring mental health condition and claiming benefits from a list your council will provide.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

jn01

Re: Council Tax - Severely mentally impaired (SMI) person discount
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
If the cared for person is in receipt of DLA  care component higher rate, then the care or carer's would also not be counted as living in the property.

Enjoy reading your posts again Granny49 :) 

Granny49

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
Thank you jn01 :); I thought it would be worth listing the relevant benefits under their names for anyone needing to refer to them as time goes by.

Am I right in thinking the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and therefore the care component if you get it, are only payable to people under state pension age (SPA)?  I have a feeling that this is then covered by Attendance Allowance when you pass SPA but I must admit I have no idea how anyone does this or whether it is done automatically.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

jn01

« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
If in receipt of DLA before retirement age, then you would stay on DLA after . However those already receiving DLA are being transferred to PIP (Personal independence payment) Understand the same rules apply.

Must add, if those in receipt of the DLA mobility component before retirement, then that would also  still be paid

granny bee

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
Is PIP means tested?

Granny49

« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2016, 08:25:42 AM »
It isn't granny bee.  It is more a case of it being disability tested.

jn01 that seems to mean that you could have two pensioners, one of whom needed care before they reached SPA and are on DLA with the care component this continues but if you started  needing care after reaching state pension age you will get AA but I am not sure if that is right.

I have just looked it up and there is also the change from DLA to PIP if you were born after 8 April 1948.  Those who are born on or before 8 April 1948 you will stay on DLA.  How complicated :(   

If two people, one born after 8 April 1958, one born before this date goes over the state pension age never having claimed DLA or PIP what would they claim?  I have always believed they could only claim AA.

jn01

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
DLA mobility component ie Low rate mobility:  £21.8 High rate mobility: £57.45
The same upper age limit of 65 as for the care component applies to the mobility component. If a person has claimed mobility component before the age of 65, s/he can continue to receive it for an indefinite period as long as s/he satisfies the conditions.

Attendance Allowance does not include a mobility component

Granny49

« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
Is it the case then jn01 that, unless you are in a position to take the mobility component forward there is no mobility allowance for the over 65s?  We haven't applied for anything in this area for mum and I hadn't realised how convoluted it was :o  I would have thought that the same system could apply to both working age and state pension age - but maybe that is too simple  ;)

jn01

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »
That's correct Granny49 the rules do seem unfair to me. :(

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2019, 11:05:08 PM »
Just updating with a bit more information on this one.  This comes from Money Saving Expert.   The links haven't carried over so if you want to click through to further information I would click on the link at the bottom.

The Severely Mentally Impaired discount can be worth £1,000s - here's how you get it.
Like students and under-18s, in Eng, Scot and Wales (NI doesn't have council tax), those who have a severe mental impairment are 'disregarded' for council tax purposes. This means if they live alone they shouldn't pay any council tax, or more commonly, if they live with one other adult, often their carer, there should be a 25% discount (typically worth about £400/yr). 

To qualify, someone must be medically certified as having a severe mental impairment (i.e., one that severely and permanently affects their intellectual and social functioning), and be eligible for certain benefits. Eg, dementia, strokes and Parkinson's are all conditions that could result in someone having a severe mental impairment. Our SMI guide has full info.

Some councils will backdate the payout. This can be huge - Tom tweeted:

@MartinSLewis
Thank you. After seeing you talk about council tax exemption, I've claimed back £9,649.65 for my dad who suffered a stroke in 1999 and has lived alone since 2005. Thank you so much. This will make a big difference."

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?weeklytip=10-04-2019&utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=09-Apr-19-589-11&utm_campaign=nt-highlights&utm_content=4#smi
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
If you reach age 65 when you are on DLA then you dont have to worry (at present) about being transferred to PIP. I was on highest level DLA when I reached retirement age and had a lifetime award so I will not be "invited" to apply for PIP instead. At least not under present regulations.
I dont get anything for care and have been told by a welfare rights worker that if I needed care in the future and applied for Attendance Allowance they would re-assess me under the PIP regulations. Many of the people who were on DLA have lost out under PIP as the regulations are stricter. I was advised not to apply for attendance allowance unless my care needs were substantial as I could lose my current DLA mobility allowance.
I dont drive or have a car so DLA pays for me to travel by taxi when I need to go out and dont have a friend or relative to take me.

However as I dont discuss my business (or being disabled) with neighbours they probably think I get taxis because I am a lazy bugger. The less the sodding neighbours know about you the better.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »
If you look at the Benefits section as a whole Biglouis the threads are generally trying to cover one benefit or a particular query so that people  can use them for reference.  If you can see any gaps - there are probably many - it would be worth starting threads on that particular benefit.  None of us know what may happen to us and hopefully these will help but each person will only be able to contribute to ones they have come across so the more the err … more helpful :)
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
I don't suppose they pay council tax in Downing Street.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

This might help if anyone is thinking they or a person in their care could be entitled.  If you scroll down there is a form you can download and it gives you some idea what you will be asked for.  It is for Manchester but it is very much what we were asked for, in Yorkshire,when I applied on my mother's behalf.

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/500332/money_off_and_exemptions/7449/special_discount_when_someone_in_your_home_is_mentally_disabled

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
I've been aware of this benefit for a number of years but I can't see why a severe mental impairment should preclude someone from paying council tax, especially as they're more likely to be a major council services user.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)