Author Topic: Blind or partially sighted  (Read 2905 times)

Granny49

Blind or partially sighted
« on: Nov 02, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »
I am just adding the little bits I find out so I apologise if I am 'teaching my granny to suck eggs' and you already know.

My mother has had no sight in one eye for many years; we believe as a result of a stroke.  I have noticed the sight in her other eye is beginning to deteriorate so the question arises - do I need to be doing anything about this?  The optician is coming in a couple of weeks so I obviously need to see what he says and, as you can imagine I do not want to do anything that will invade the bubble in which she feels in control and safe unless there is an improvement in circumstances for her.

We had been told previously that mum would not be classed as partially sighted because of no sight in one eye - the other eye would have to be affected.  I have now talked to the very helpful RNIB.    The lovely and helpful lady has emailed me a booklet which tells about the process to register as blind and partially sighted.  After talking to her I do not think we would go down this route as, as far as I can see, it would only be worth it to support benefit applications and mum is already receiving the highest level of AA because of other issues.

However, what I did not know is that, if you as the SS for an assessment of needs to see if there are any changes to the home, etc., that may help, you may ask for a visual impairment assessment to be included.  If the deterioration continues that is something I may do as so often you do not know what is available to help but, of course, they do.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

granny bee

Re: Blind or partially sighted
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
I was issued with a certificate of severe sight impairment by consultant at eye clinic I attend in June 2015, so do sympathise  with your mother's sight loss.  I contacted our county care dept who sent me the usual bundle of leaflets, and enquired whether I wanted to be "assessed" which I declined at that time.  They advised a visit to a charity Insight company some 20 miles away which turned out to be a showroom of all sorts of widgets and gadgets to aid vision, some as much as £4,000!  I emerged having paid £300+ for an electronic magnifier and pair of TV specs!  Knowing that our modest retirement savinggs exclude us from any kind of benefits there seemed little point in having a jobs worth nosing into our affairs under the guise of an assessment resulting negatively, so we soldier on uner our own steam!
My posts are usually sh0ort due to sight impairment, readingposts on PF increasingly difficult, and I dread the day when I can no longer participate on PF.  Large print books still provide enjoyment, if blurred.  Supermarket shopping is a nightmare, but magnifier assists with sell by dates etc., and for the princely sum of £4 a VIP badge (visually impaired person) usually promotes kindness in assistance and at checkout.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
Not heard of the VIP badge, great idea! I cannot imagine being without my sight so sympathise with anyone who has this impairment. I'm going a bit deaf but no problem with that but please don't take my sight!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Granny49

« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
Thank you so much Granny Bee, for sharing your knowledge with me.  My first thought is to wonder if you could use the sort of software my daughter uses.  She has it because of her dyslexia but it basically reads text to her and she can dictate to it.  I have a feeling she said there was a free version and I will ask her although she is not particularly techy - perhaps someone on here knows about this sort of thing.

I do hope you have applied for Attendance Allowance as that is not means tested but needs tested.  Age UK have been my best bet when it comes to filling in forms and are happy to help and have insight into what the decision maker is actually asking - it's not always obvious :o

I think one of the things the certificate may help with is asking Social Services for the needs assessment so they can provide the magnifier (a good one for mum I think) etc.  As you say they do a financial assessment and tell you the most you will have to pay towards anything they do.  Mum is not getting Pension Guarantee Credit as her own income - AA is not included - is a little higher but this does limit what she will be expected to pay.  We have almost reached the limit with what we pay out for her alarms so it will help. 

I will let you know how we get on after the next visit from the optician which is towards the end of the month.  There are few appointments for home visits so we always have to wait a while but at least I feel we are on the way now.

CC I would say the best buy we have so far made on mums behalf are her hearing aids.  They seem so much more acceptable now and make such a huge difference.  Every week, when I change her batteries (in the hearing aids - I wish we could get batteries for mum but not yet invented :) )  she starts by telling me I have already changed them - same conversation every week but it is one on her 'safe places' and then tells me how she couldn't manage without them and what a difference they make  :)  I couldn't agree more so it is easy to make the right answers :)

Can you help re the software I wonder?  It may just help to let Granny Bee say what she wants to and keep in touch.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

firenze

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
G49 and Granny bee..the information coming from your conversation must be enormously helpful to others.  I have had a Blind Father in law so experienced some of the tribulations of sight loss first hand.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Granny49

« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2016, 10:35:36 AM »
I have always thought that this is when the internet is at its best Firenze - we don't have people in our own circles with the same problems and this brings people with things in common together to exchange information :)

granny bee

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:46:15 AM »
The software you mention sounds extremely interesting G49, surprised it wasn't mentioned at the Insight centre.

Everyone presumes these days that everything can be done on-line.  This is certainly not the case for blind and severely vision impaired folk.   e.g. am unable to order weekly shop to be delivered, and there is no alternative than in-store trolley trundle.

Granny49

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »
I'll ask my daughter about it Granny Bee.  I have a feeling it was called Dragon so I will go and have a look too.

Granny49

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
I started to look it up Granny Bee and found this

http://www.rnib.org.uk/information-everyday-living-using-technology-computers-and-tablets/free-accessibility-software

If anyone more technically able than me is reading perhaps they can explain them better than I can but basically they are free screen readers which sounds as if they would be really helpful.

terime

Older people shouldn't eat health food, they need all the preservatives they can get.  ;)

Granny49

« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Thank you so much terime I have bookmarked it.  I feel we are hanging at the moment waiting for the optician to come so I will be able to go back to it when we know what is happening.

granny bee

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
Will try and read links later, many thanks.