Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 691 times)

Flying bomb

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2016, 12:55:09 PM »
Thank you all so much x
I am female CC  ;D
Happily married (a long time)
And London born - in fact I do break out into cockney speech often, so I hope that
won't get on yer nerves too much but once you see how loveable I am, you will forgive that x
Hi Pats. You won't get on my nerves with yer cockney speech as I was
born and bred in Dalston, London, and have that great accent too. ;D
Living in the country now for some 40 years has not dimmed it in any way.
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans."

www.retinascope.co.uk
Albert.

Pats

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2016, 01:15:58 PM »
Hello FB - that's good to hear, I moved out of London a good few years back to
Kent, a place I knew well. I miss the 'old' London

Alfred

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
hello pats, and flying bomb,
if I said  dalston  market, or dalston waste market, on the high road I bet you would know it , when my family and I lived at Highbury  we went there regularly and it was a good market especially for fruit ,as both of you would know ,

Pats

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »
I've heard of it Alfred but not been to that one
I miss the markets, the ones that sold a bit of everything, I got lots of goodies at the
markets from clothes to old records. They would have warming drinks too like
Sasparella (not sure of spelling) Hot chestnuts and hot waffles - coo I'd love to walk them markets again .............. :)

sparky

« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »
Alf, Was Dalston waste market what I knew as Kingsland waste when I was a nipper in Shoreditch, and from there to living in  a road just off Dalston Lane.

terime

« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »
I knew Dalston market as Ridley Road.
Older people shouldn't eat health food, they need all the preservatives they can get.  ;)

Alfred

« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »
hello every one, yes it was known under several names, I had heard of all the names.you have mentioned,

the kingsland waste, also known ridley road, and also as dalston market,
that market sold basically  fruit and veg but the fruit was superb, and it was known for its fruit stalls,

do you also remember Walthamstow market which gradually inclined as you walked up the market to the top on a main road at the top another great market selling every thing,

and finally chapel market in Islington who again sold every thing ,one stall sold apple donuts ,really delicious, as well as the famous sarsaparilla virtually sold in many London markets.   

Flying bomb

« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2016, 06:42:29 AM »
You are all making me cry.  Dalston Waste . Had many a bottle of Sasparella  as a kid.
My mum and I were sheltering in a cinema in the Waste during an air raid when a bomb
went off opposite our house and destroyed it.   Those were the days!
We lived just off Balls Pond Road. Kingsbury Rd.

www.retinascope.co.uk
Albert.

sparky

« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
Alf. I am getting a bit confused, I always understood Kingsland waste to be in Kingsland road on a Saturday, and Ridley market to be in Ridley road further away, Walthamstow market, yep my late wife worked in an office down there and I often went down there to pick he up when she finished work, good Pie and Mash shop down there.

terime

« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »
This gives some insight....
http://lovingdalston.co.uk/2014/11/waste-not-want-not-kingsland-market-is-to-close/

I think the Kingsland waste was on the side of the main road to the south of Dalston Junction .
Older people shouldn't eat health food, they need all the preservatives they can get.  ;)

Flying bomb

« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2016, 09:43:53 AM »
Alf. I am getting a bit confused, I always understood Kingsland waste to be in Kingsland road on a Saturday, and Ridley market to be in Ridley road further away, Walthamstow market, yep my late wife worked in an office down there and I often went down there to pick he up when she finished work, good Pie and Mash shop down there.
Ridley Road is further north from the main cross road where Balls Pond Rd is.
Ridley was opposite a pie and eel shop and it  never sold old junk as the Waste did.

I spent hours years ago during early Sunday mornings (3am onwards!) in Club Row searching for goodies.  Club Row was another totters delight about 2 miles from Liverpool St

www.retinascope.co.uk
Albert.

sparky

« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »
FB, Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I thought my memory was playing tricks.

Alfred

« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
hello Sparky and flying bomb.

re -thinking it over I some how remember Kingsland waste as being all stalls only, so somewhere along the way iv got muddled too, with the actual market itself which sold loads of fruit, so im sorry if iv caused some confusion as the last time I went there was about thirty years ago and over time. Somehow my memory seems to think that the actual fruit market was some where near  the dalston railway station or not very far from it,  or am I getting muddled again ,

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
I live quite near to Stockport which has a lovely old cobbled market place. A pub on every corner (including a Yates's Wine Lodge) and a big, glass-enclosed 19thC indoor market, recently refurbished.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stockport+market+pics&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=950&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikrsbH6KXQAhUBI8AKHQeiA7IQsAQIJQ&dpr=1
[email protected]

Dying isn't the worst thing that can happen. Being kept alive is.
A Freudian slip: When you say one thing but mean your mother.

firenze

« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »
Zoony..thanks for the Stockport memories and pics it took me back to some happy times.  Lived briefly at Marple Bridge and shopped in the Stockport market, I had almost forgotten as it was 60 yrs ago when I was nobut a girl!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.