Author Topic: The Dam Busters...  (Read 1609 times)

firenze

The Dam Busters...
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
Carol Vordaman is trying to obtain an honour for the last Dam Buster Johnny Johnston?  Isn't that a name that rings in wartime history, in memory of all of that time I hope she succeeds.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Dickie

Re: The Dam Busters...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:32:27 PM »
Only just noticed this and ohhhhhhhhhh Johnny Johnson so deserves this and I've only seen it on here so I hope there is a public outcry Firenze . If there is an appeal somewhere I'd love to put my name down xxxxxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

granny moss

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
So many lives saved by their courage. Deserve honouring. gmx

Dickie

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
I remember them showing how they practised in secret and it was marvellous .

Who was the pilot who maked a film after losing his legs and he had tin legs and I think he had this wonderful doggie who waited for him to come back . I sobbed watching his dog and I don't know why but Rin Tin Tin comes to mind xxxxxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »

This is a glaring example of what is wrong with the honours system, when so many virtual nobody's and politicians etc that have contributed zilch to society  get honours, and its taken this long for somebody like this man to even have his name  put forward. He should have received a high honour years ago as a matter of course.
Crooks like Philip Green  would not even be here but for this man, yet he got an honour, for what.

Clarence

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
Douglas Bader was the pilot who survived a crash with the loss of both legs, played admirably by Kenneth More in the film Reach for the Skies. I don't remember him having a dog, and I suspect that was the dam busters leader, Guy Gibson, a great man who sadly did not survive the war, portrayed in the film by Richard Todd. The black dog, [censored], was killed in a road accident during training for the raid.
Always start as you mean to begin.

Dickie

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
Douglas Bader was the pilot who survived a crash with the loss of both legs, played admirably by Kenneth More in the film Reach for the Skies. I don't remember him having a dog, and I suspect that was the dam busters leader, Guy Gibson, a great man who sadly did not survive the war, portrayed in the film by Richard Todd. The dog, [censored], was killed in a road accident during training for the raid.

Oh wow clarenceeeee thanks so much . I must have got three films mixed in together hehehehehehe BUT a I loved all the films and yesssssss Kenneth Moore was brilliant . Your doggies name was censored tee hee so I'm trying to guess his name but oh god if animals die in movies I have to take boxes of tissues sob sob xxxxx

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:11:24 AM »
I have no time for Carol Vorderman, but well done to her for trying to get this man the honour he deserves.  When you think we have the likes of Sir Bob Geldof and Baroness Chakrabarti .......... ::) ::) ::)   well, it makes you wonder who is running this country.

Dickie

« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
I have no time for Carol Vorderman, but well done to her for trying to get this man the honour he deserves.  When you think we have the likes of Sir Bob Geldof and Baroness Chakrabarti .......... ::) ::) ::)   well, it makes you wonder who is running this country.

I should be allowed to run this country for a year alex22 and I could end poverty and empty prisons and sort out the NHS etc etc , I would send them all to live with Donald Trump hehehehe xxxx

Clarence

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
Guy Gibson was honoured for his role in the Dams raid with the VC and he had several other decorations.
Always start as you mean to begin.

Flying bomb

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »
The black dog, [censored], was killed in a road accident during training for the raid.
The censored word is Nig ger.
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Phil

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
I'm not sure about this.

I have a problem with honouring anyone for assisting in the killing of thousands of civilians no matter how necessary it was deemed to be.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

firenze

« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
Perhaps Phil the end justified the means. Wartime had no justifications just survival I reckon.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Yellowbird

« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
Sir Winston Churchill's out then Phil?
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Phil

« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »
Sir Winston Churchill's out then Phil?

I suspect Churchill may have got his Knighthood for a bit more than dropping bombs.
Perhaps Phil the end justified the means. Wartime had no justifications just survival I reckon.

I'm sure there are military honours he could have if he's not got any already.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin