Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 731 times)

Dickie

Re: Just joined
« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »

Oo-errrrrrr how annoying . I typed a massive post and nothing came out boo hoo . Cutting it short from typing all that again what a smashing model hahahaha xxx

firenze

« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
Uke in Scarborough there is a huge park with waterways.  It has an Island in the centre of a Lake. The setting for shows like Hiawatha but also recreating wartime battles at sea using models, the battle of the River Plate a favourite.  It was really spectacular with bombs and guns. The seating required cushions and a hot water bottle as it took place at dusk for effect. Talking 70/80s

I assume still staging shows, the son who held us hostage to visit regularly is currently in Tokyo talking big business.   
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:53:37 PM »
Fascinating Uke! I've always been a model builder, mainly planes and gliders which I still fly occasionally, weather permitting!
Love the submarine, quite a challenge I should think or does the antenna stick out of the water when dived? Mind you, at 400Mhz you'd get a bit of penetration through the water! (I'm sure someone will comment on that).
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
[email protected]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/255625

Uke

« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Using 40mhz under water, in fresh water, is no problem down to around 6 feet (so they tell me, but I don't go that deep) after that depth the model hull is likely to collapse due to the water pressure.  The modern systems using 2.4 GHz with the self seeking channels will not penetrate water.  The long aerial with the flag on makes it easier to see where the sub is but it can go completely under water without any problem.  My biggest danger is weed which can seriously foul a prop. or the dive planes. Part of the fun eh?.....

firenze

« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
CC. If you fly model aero it used to be my forte insomuch as I worked for Davies  Charleton (model aircraft engine mfgs;) Gliders kits too, it was in the dark ages in Barnoldswick and they kept in touch when they moved to the Isle of Man.  I had recent contact.  It was an enthusiastic field, I loved the contact with the flyers.  Kraft also made the kits. I am mentioned in their history.  Flying is still to be seen on Beverley Westwoods near my home now.

Mark Twain.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #35 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »
My boo-boo on the frequency, no idea where the 400Mhz came from ??? Meant 2.4Ghz!! (senior moment) ::) )

Ah the old Kiel Kraft balsa models. Funnily enough I recently bought one on Ebay for a Pilatus Porter P6 which was the plane my son flew in Papua for the past seven years!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
[email protected]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/with/255625

Dickie

« Reply #36 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »
I do think these hobbies are so great because great for the whole family I imagine .
Two years ago I bought michael a helicopter and he smashed it to smithereens on its first flight . It took him six months to admit it to me and it was a sensational "toy" . I still don't know how a sensible man could have had an accident like that grrrrrrr xxxxx

firenze

« Reply #37 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »
Didn't think flying models still flourished glad to hear it does CC

Mark Twain.