Author Topic: Song thrush  (Read 1669 times)

Traveller

Song thrush
« on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »
We seem to have one or more song thrush taking up residence in the trees round our garden.  They are remarkably loud singers.  I'll try to get a photo.
You'll have had your tea.

Sheila

Re: Song thrush
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
Lovely.  We encourage birds to visit but haven't got a song thrush.

We had a very fat pigeon just sitting for ages in the bird bath this morning.  He looked very happy but it's not the same is it?

Dickie

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »
We seem to have one or more song thrush taking up residence in the trees round our garden.  They are remarkably loud singers.  I'll try to get a photo.

OMG pleaseeeeee get a picture . How strange but I've got thrush lately plus oh grrrrrr starlings too and yessssss I know they still need food but they are so greedy and quite violent and empty my feeders within minutes . My neighbours filled my feeders this morning because obviously I can't get out until the window man comes . I'll be is happy once everything is normal ( can it ever be normalllllll pleaseeeeee ) and traveller get that camera ready please xxxxxxxx

Sheilaaaaa oh bless I've got a huge fat pigeon in my bird bath too eeeeeeek and they do huge poo poos in the water xxxxxxxx. Sheils how are your eyes now my darling xxx
Wow , I知 amazed I found you all again . I知 useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »
My eyes are doing well thanks.  It's just a bit frustrating that I am not allowed to do any gardening yet.  The downside of having better eyesight is that the sun is shining on all the dust and I can see cobwebs.

Dickie

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
My eyes are doing well thanks.  It's just a bit frustrating that I am not allowed to do any gardening yet.  The downside of having better eyesight is that the sun is shining on all the dust and I can see cobwebs.

Thank god you don't come for a visit here then and bless your heart darlingggg xxxxxxxx
Wow , I知 amazed I found you all again . I知 useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
Here's a previous photo I took of a visiting thrush.....

Dickie

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
Here's a previous photo I took of a visiting thrush.....

Oh blimey she is gorgeous and I've just realised I haven't had a thrush here now and I think it was just a look alike thrush without the spots . Thanks traveller sooooo much for a fab picture . I think I've seen some on cavemans web site . You men are blooming awesome with a camera apart from caveman has some special ones of me that are private wahhhhhhhhhh only joking on that but trying to make you all laugh xxxxxxx

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Here's a different sort of 'bird' for you,  climbing on an escallonia  :D :D :D

stellamaris

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »
Lovely picture Traveller.  As you know about birds can you answer this.  For about 7 years we have had a blackbird and his mate visiting.  He seems to limit his visits to just three gardens one of which is mine.  He is quite tame really and never minds how close he might be although the mate is rather shy.  However, this year the blackbird has appeared again this year but it doesn't look like the same one.  This one seems younger, is so black and and the yellow very bright.   He is incredibly bold and is so fine he looks like a model.  I haven't seen any mate yet, but that is usually much later in the year.   Could it be a different one and what will have happened to the old couple.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
The average life of a blackbird is only about 3 years, so 7 is pretty good going.  The oldest recorded blackbird was over 20 years.  It's possible your blackbird reached the end of his natural life, or at least the end of his breeding life.

stellamaris

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
Thank Traveller.  It might have been 6 years.  But it seems quite strange that a new one has just moved in and on the same hedges. Perhaps it has taken over the old nest but I don't know where that is.   The female one always foraged in the front gardens on the ground.  I like to think it is a son but that's probably being fanciful.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »
Sounds as if she's moved on to a toy-bird. Female birds are such slappers. All these "They mate for life" birds like swans, it's rubbish. First chance they get they're off tomming. Lot of work done just a few years ago and these romantic little myth-bubbles were burst.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:20:40 PM »
Birds are lovely .. I have a biggish bird bath in my front garden and when I'm at the kitchen window I can watch them bathing. The Sparrows all get in together as do the Tits.I had a male Blackbird and his partner frolicking around today . I think they fancy one another. I have two Ringnecked Doves that sit on the back fence chatting each other up... I would like to think that some of these birds are the offspring of other birds that have lived in my garden.  Traveller. Your pictures are lovely
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it痴 not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
I think you're right about generations of birds visiting. Quite a few species exhibit this 'philopatry'.The house-martins in my eves have been returning for as long as I've been around. If they fail to raise a brood they don't return to that place though.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.