Author Topic: racing pidgeon's,.  (Read 1169 times)

Alfred

racing pidgeon's,.
« on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
I, seem to remember many people having , keeping, and even breeding  racing Pidgeon's,  and many streets in the east end of London at that time  had many breeders,  and the competitions was fierce, today I wonder if this practice goes on , what with new housing and building developments over time have I believe have  corroded much but not all of this  once popular sport, as it was a money maker for those who could afford it,

minniemouse

Re: racing pidgeon's,.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »
Don't know about any other area but it seems to have died out around here.  Pigeon fanciers often ended up with lung disease.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
I think it was known as Bird-fancier's Lung Minnie..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Dickie

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »
I think it was known as Bird-fancier's Lung Minnie..

Oh wow Minnie and zoony yesssss it was something to do with dust from the dicks wings I think . Heh zoony did they really use them during the war or have I gone a bit barmy xxx
Wow , I知 amazed I found you all again . I知 useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
It was to do with the doo-doo Bea..The dust from dried pigeon droppings is the cause. Lofts these days tend to be spotless.
Pigeons were used in both world wars. There's a special award for bravery called the Dickin Medal specially for animals. I think more pigeons than any other creature have won it. Flying over battlefields and such to bring important messages from the front line.

cowboy wisdom.

Dickie

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »
It was to do with the doo-doo Bea..The dust from dried pigeon droppings is the cause. Lofts these days tend to be spotless.
Pigeons were used in both world wars. There's a special award for bravery called the Dickin Medal specially for animals. I think more pigeons than any other creature have won it. Flying over battlefields and such to bring important messages from the front line.

Oh wow zoony especially being called dicken hehehe . How on earth did a pigeon fly from Germany amazesssssss me xxx
Wow , I知 amazed I found you all again . I知 useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:46:32 AM »
Not from Germany Bea..From the frontline to Battalion HQ or wherever. Though they would fly from France to London if necessary.

cowboy wisdom.

Dickie

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:53:49 AM »
Not from Germany Bea..From the frontline to Battalion HQ or wherever. Though they would fly from France to London if necessary.

Wow l I had no idea pigeons had that strength to fly over the channel .   Thought they were too heavy for a long journey like that . Me going to sleep now my wonderful baby boy zoony loony so night darling xxxxxxxxxxxx

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
I found this which brought a smile to my face....

I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »
HeHee...Bet 648 got off to a flyer..

cowboy wisdom.

Alfred

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
Great photo Grumpyfrog,  I like it,

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »
I don't suppose anyone liberates pigeons these days, the railway used to do it but then they used to do a lot of things.