Author Topic: window boxes,  (Read 1020 times)

Alfred

window boxes,
« on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »

As a young man I seem to recall seeing many houses that had oblong window boxes to which the occupier painstakingly put on a lovely show of flowers, of course with the more modern houses  many haven't got a window ledge wide enough or even level with which to display these long almost forgotten displays,

Q; what is your opinion of window boxes are they a hindrance or a work of art,

Grumpyfrog

Re: window boxes,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »
I dont have window boxes but I do have hanging baskets.
So many people dont have the time or inclination these days to do things like that now.

Anything that brightens up someones day has just got to be worth it.
I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

Granny49

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
The gardens of pensioners have always been the neatest and well tended in my memory GF.  I don't think it is lack of inclination so much as lack of time for those who are still working.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
I've got strawberries in ours Alfred.  Not many snails find them up there and the birds can't get to them as easily.

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
The gardens of pensioners have always been the neatest and well tended in my memory GF.  I don't think it is lack of inclination so much as lack of time for those who are still working.

I dont think times have changed so much.
We have all worked but still have found time to spend with our family and maintain our house and gardens.

I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
Several houses (including mine) here have window boxes and 'planters' outside.  There are also floral 'sculptures' in the village square.  This is very common amongst the villages here.  The council plant and maintain hanging baskets in many places too. 

This is one of ours.... last summer

You'll have had your tea.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
I need to shrink my photos! We have one like that outside our kitchen window. Also a window box at the front, pots and a hanging basket. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
The village square...  you can just see part of my house in the top right corner  :)

Granny49

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2017, 03:45:19 PM »
Does your village go in for any of the 'In Bloom' type competitions Traveller.  Ours is quite keen and seems to have done very well so it does look a picture most of the time.  I take my hat off (well I would if I was wearing one  :) ) to those who put the hours in to make it all come together.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
Not as far as I'm aware.  Much of the floral displays,  Xmas tree decoration etc.. is either done by the residents committee or individuals.  Several houses have flower baskets outside.  We're fortunate to live in an area where the flowers will not be damaged.