Author Topic: Pension payment  (Read 6518 times)

Akbuk

Re: Pension payment
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
Do you get a reduced state pension Akbuk with living abroad  ?

No, I've always paid my NI, even when out of the country. I kept a door open in the UK over employment via a company. Don't get me wrong, Im not clever just been fortunate to have had an accountant for years. Left to me I/we would've had nowt.
I cashed in one of my private pensions whilst in Turkey........all perfectly ILLEGAL on how it was done & it did cost me a substantial amount of money to do it but at the time I needed to put cash into something.

To be fair I don't know many pensioners, where I have moved back to seems to be youngsters or middle aged. I would like to think my neighbours look at us as "oldies but goodies".

I’m a real he/him.

Akbuk

« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
One thing that I did think was clever out there was tax back for pensioners.
Receipts for food & certain other items that showed VAT, that VAT could be redeemed for cash up to a certain amount. One supermarket we used even had a box at the end specifically for those receipts to be dished out.
I’m a real he/him.

Alex22

« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
That is a good idea !  I didn't keep up any NI payments, consequently my state pension is smaller.   Another "I wish I hadn't done that" is the married woman's contribution which I paid for years.  I guess I wasn't as savvy back then !    ;D

Akbuk

« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
That is a good idea !  I didn't keep up any NI payments, consequently my state pension is smaller.   Another "I wish I hadn't done that" is the married woman's contribution which I paid for years.  I guess I wasn't as savvy back then !    ;D

I'm not that savvy now nor was I then, just had someone advise me from an early age.
A neighbour of my Father shone a light to me many years back. Her husband died after a very short illness, no insurance, no pension, no nothing. She came to my Father to help her fill the forms out.........he was a lorry driver, the only forms he had filled out were one to join the army & one for his driving licence :-) He got me involved (I was lost), I put my accountant on it, truly an eye opener what the poor woman had to go through.............
Call me selfish but my financial contributions to the UK are for ALL Brits. We had four kids, some people had none...........they contributed to us with the old child benefit or whatever its called. Swings & roundabouts. 
I’m a real he/him.

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »

Me too! False economy in retrospect, but we were hard up and needed every penny.  We didn't get NI credists for staying at home looking after children either.  The rules changed long after I'd gone back to work.  I certainly wasn't savvy.  😪
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Phil

« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:35:23 PM »

Me too! False economy in retrospect, but we were hard up and needed every penny.  We didn't get NI credists for staying at home looking after children either.  The rules changed long after I'd gone back to work.  I certainly wasn't savvy.  😪

It wasn't a case of not being savvy, it was a case of not having a crystal ball & thus not being able to keep up with ever moving goalposts.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Akbuk

« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »

I don't think any of us thought 30 or 40 years ahead back in the day, I know I never. My wife has had five jobs (1) Me (2) First son (3) Second son (4) Third son (5) Daughter.................ALL SHEER GRAFT.
I’m a real he/him.

minniemouse

« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:50:35 AM »
Ahem, Brian did.  ::)
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Akbuk

« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Ahem, Brian did.  ::)

The Life of Brian I cant compete with...........my lot was pure luck & an accountant called Steve (RIP)
I’m a real he/him.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
It wasn't a case of not being savvy, it was a case of not having a crystal ball & thus not being able to keep up with ever moving goalposts.

I worked with a guy when we were both in our forties. He told me he'd chosen the (then nationalised) organisation at 17 because it had a good pension scheme.  It was great for anyone who got forty years in, they retired on 2/3 final salary.  I thought he was unusual, then I read Brian's posts and realised perhaps he wasn't! 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Akbuk

« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »
My Father was a driver/drayman for Ansell's Brewery, he always used to tell me about his superannuated pension......even though he never fully understood it :-) I never told him what I was paying into because it would've been, "now you don't want to be doing that" (as Dads do). 
I’m a real he/him.

Phil

« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »
My Father was a driver/drayman for Ansell's Brewery, he always used to tell me about his superannuated pension......even though he never fully understood it :-) I never told him what I was paying into because it would've been, "now you don't want to be doing that" (as Dads do).

What's the difference between & boxer & a drayman's cart horse?

The boxer darts into the fray while the cart horse farts into the dray.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Akbuk

« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
What's the difference between & boxer & a drayman's cart horse?

The boxer darts into the fray while the cart horse farts into the dray.

Nice one Phil  ;D ;D
I’m a real he/him.

minniemouse

« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D   ;D Phil you've shrunk  ???
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.