Author Topic: what our mothers and fathers taught us.  (Read 4771 times)

Alfred

what our mothers and fathers taught us.
« on: Apr 10, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »

As children then , many of us were taught by our parents the basic skills then , for example of how to lay a fire,

although this is virtually extinct in todays modern world , where we have central heating and so on, 
for those of us who had both parents, some parents taught their children many things which in later years would stand them in good stead, good sound  advice, how to handle their money , working out in their head how much change will be  given back.

today would or could the young children of today cope , as many seem to rely on computers, laptops smart phones to text, in stead of write, or spell , cook instead of eating take away food,  make  beds, wash up, and many more basic things we do in a day to day environment , and of course the list is endless,

being able to do arithmetic in their heads without using a calculator,  Im  sure there are many young children that could do some of these things,  but are they becoming reliable on electronics  instead,

what of  reading , telling the time, all the basics that in our time we were encouraged to do ,

so with many working mothers and fathers today , have they the time to encourage young children not to rely on the electronic devices that are freely available , sit and discuss what they've learnt at school and so on, showing interest in their progress,

in schools calculator I believe are accepted, where as in our day we had to show written proof how we arrived at the  answers , proofing we weren't cheating, each given a different part of a story to read proving  we were reading ,not copying some one else from memory,

Q; what are your thoughts on passing on our knowledge ,to children is it necessary today or will it become extinct in  time,   

sueboo

Re: what our mothers and fathers taught us.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »
My parents taught me to be a free spirit and not worry about life.
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
Your parents were wise people. Here's to 'em.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Emmaline

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
Well .. my father was non existent but my mother did teach me how to make chips .. in a tiny tin 6" lid filled with melted lard from slivers of potato cut off the peelings from yesterday's meal and the lid was balanced on the gas hob!
(just in case you don't know what I mean)

wonder I didn't end up in A&E!
All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Pats

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
What about the gas hob though ?  :D

Pats

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
My Mother simply taught me to be nothing like her  :P
Not that she knew it, I just observed

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
I too learned that I didn't want to be anything like my parents.  Their main faults ,in my eyes, were their total reluctance, or inability, to form a reasoned argument  and their refusal to compromise.
You'll have had your tea.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
My parents did their best for me, and although I'm not domestically talented like my mother, I'd hope I've inherited her ability to be fairly independent and content.

I was also encouraged to have a strong work ethic, something passed on to my children I'm glad to say.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

firenze

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
My Mother taught me to cook but my Father taught me to love wildlife.   By example I suppose it was not to make their mistakes.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

sueboo

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
Your parents were wise people. Here's to 'em.

Yes they were :)
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Traveller

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »
My mother was not a bad cook, but she was a very unimaginative one.  I think if a bunch of herbs had landed in the kitchen, she would have flipped.  I love cooking, but I'm largely self taught. 

My father was a plasterer and glazier and he was expert at both.  As a child, he would give me putty to play with instead of plasticine!   I can cut glass OK and do a good job of tiling, but I wish I had got him to teach me how to plaster.
You'll have had your tea.

Dickie

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »
One of the best tips I had was because we were so poor when my kiddies were tiny I used to chop up two sausages in a huge Batter with an onion and make a massiveeeeeeee toad in the hole which filled everyone up for Sunday lunch with roast potatoes and gravy . In those days you could buy a sack of spuds for a few bob and they lasted a couple of weeks . I don't think they sell them now do they ? xxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Mondays Child

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
I was petrified of my dad when I was young as he had a real continental temper and would explode.
It meant both my sister and I grew up to be quiet little mice.

Scrumpy

« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
My mum allowed us to be free and explore.. She stood 4ft 11 inches ..
but we knew who was in charge ..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Dickie

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2017, 11:20:24 PM »
My mum allowed us to be free and explore.. She stood 4ft 11 inches ..
but we knew who was in charge ..

You take after mummy then scrumpy poooooo xxxxxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me