Author Topic: memory lane,  (Read 5789 times)

Alfred

memory lane,
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

Thinking  back to a time when how life was then, for example seeing the paper boy or girl doing the rounds as they delivered newspapers much like they still do today. back then the milk mans horse and cart as the horse clip clopped down the road as the milkman delivered pints of milk with different coloured tops,

later came the bakers horse and cart and like wise delivered, bread, cakes and pastries to a number of houses,
once a week the coal man came again with two horses pulling the cart  with bags of coal and the man looked like a mock up of al jolson the then singer, 

occasionally the tally man would call with his suit case from the back of a car as he showed what was on offer and the latest fashion in clothing,  and then of course mum would pay so much a week until the clothes were paid for , much later on another purchase for other clothes, and on it went ,

few people had their own phone, and the red public call boxes were everywhere, do you remember press button  A. or button B, to get your money back, standing in the call box with a hand full of coins as you fed the meter depending on the length of the call,

the small corner shops which supplied plain brown paper bags when you bought loose tea. sugar, even cutting cheese with a wire and patting butter into the familiar shape we have today,  and vegetables, too, this was a meeting point for many ladies catching up on local gossip and news,

Well I hope iv triggered off some of your memories, of times then, and of course there were many more which I won't elaborate on, so  ill stop to let you add your thoughts and memories too, of those times so that younger members will have an insight as to how it was then,
vey much different from today,

your turn,

terime

Re: memory lane,
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
TV's...black and white , when you had to give them a thump every now and then to stop the picture rolling .

Paraffin heaters .

Outside toilets.
Older people shouldn't eat health food, they need all the preservatives they can get.  ;)

Glazer

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
Alfred, it is interesting that, other than the phone box, you have described Bulgaria as it is today.

Alfred

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:33:58 AM »

Hello Glazer ,

there's was something of an easier way of life then,  a sort of nostalgic time ,   even though it was in the past ,  it was for many  a leisurely way of life,   some thing to be said of those times, not too much rushing about then  like it is today,

Johned

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
You have brought it all back terime, dad going around the back of the set muttering "Now where's the flaming horizontal (or vertical as the case may be) hold button?" giving it a tweak.  Only to resume his seat whence the picture would start rolling.  Everyone else forbidden to touch the magic buttons, after all this amazing creation cost £79 of hard earned.  Not taking the mick but back in 1952, it was the wonder of the age, was it not?  The first things dad did on returning home from the Far East after the war was to install the "leccy" even though it was a rented property, the landlady never had any money lol!  He then bought a beautiful HMV set for £28 with the magic of Shortwave. I was entranced listening to folk the other side of the world until the night when there was a nasty rasberry noise and the set fell ominously silent.  Dad carried on a bit claiming I was taking too much power out of it listening to all that foreign rubbish.  However the shop played the game and replaced the offending valves F.O.C so all was well.

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
at the end of the war, i remember having to take a 'wet' battery to the electricians shop to have it recharged, i cant remember how much he charged, but i gave him one battery and he gave us our 'other' one that he had been charging.. i seem to think it was sixpence but that seems a lot... can anyone else remember this...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »
Yes, I can remember doing that.  It was for the radio because we had no electricity.  For some reason it was called an accumulator.  Us kids would be carrying it to and fro to the shop and it was in a container full of acid ???
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
lol... yes we were told it was acid, but i think it might have been distilled water
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Remember those tiny HOVIS loaves?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »
TV's...black and white , when you had to give them a thump every now and then to stop the picture rolling .

Paraffin heaters .

Outside toilets.

Dustbin hole at the top of the yard, next to the outside loo.

The bin cart was a manual side-loader & the binman carried the full bin from the top of the yard, on his shoulder, tipped it into the cart & carried it back to the bin hole.

Today if it's not at the kerbside with the handle facing the road it's likely not to get emptied!!!

Trying to get Radio Luxemborg to stop fading in & out.

You had to have the touch of a surgeon when turning the tuning dial.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
Crabbyob, In my first job, I had to put about 10/15 on charge at the end of each working  day that customers had brought in, they were filled with sulphuric acid, that had to be topped up with distilled water if the liquid had dropped below the plates.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »
thanks pal, nasty stuff for us kids to be carrying down a buzy road tho, dont you think?

Phil

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
I remember not having a grief counseller at the primary school when my friend drowned or when any disaster happened.

I remember not having stress counselling at exam time.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

minniemouse

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
I can't believe we used to ask strangers to take us in when there was an 'A' film showing  :o
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

stellamaris

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »
Dustbin hole at the top of the yard, next to the outside loo.

The bin cart was a manual side-loader & the binman carried the full bin from the top of the yard, on his shoulder, tipped it into the cart & carried it back to the bin hole.

Today if it's not at the kerbside with the handle facing the road it's likely not to get emptied!!!

Trying to get Radio Luxemborg to stop fading in & out.

You had to have the touch of a surgeon when turning the tuning dial.

That is so strange to read this because we were talking about it the Friday gone.  Our bin was in the wall and the lid stayed where it was when the bin was taken out.  We were trying to remember what was on the little iron plaque above the bin.  I remember it said No Hot Ashes but there was another no no as well.  We thought it might have been No Broken Glass but couldn't really see the relevance and it might have been something else. Liquid maybe.  The dustbin men used to wear tunics made of sacking and/or old leather.   We also had a coal hole in the lowest and biggest front step, which went down into the cellar.  The coal men wore really thick big leather waistcoat type things.  The coal hole came in handy a time or two when one of us was sneaking back home in the early hours and had lied about where we would be staying.  It was OK because there was at least a 5ft drop between the coal hole and the coal underneath, so once in and by bending our knees we could pull the heavy manhole cover back into place and there was minimum dust.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart