Author Topic: Retirement apartments  (Read 3164 times)

sparky

Retirement apartments
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
Do any of you good folk or friends etc live in retirement properties?, I went and viewed a new McCarthy and Stone development today within spitting distance of  my present property, and was pleasantly surprised at the size and layout, much better than some poky claustrophobic ones I looked at years ago, the bonus for me would be same Doctors 4 mins away as now, and all the same local shops etc that I use, any comments god or bad would be appreciated.

Sheila

Re: Retirement apartments
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Do you know how much the charges are sparky?

There is one of these developments close to one of my daughters and we vaguely thought of looking but are rather settled where we are at the moment.  I'm not sure I like the idea of leaving my friends although it sounds that that would not apply to you.

minniemouse

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
The service charge tends to be extremely high.  You need to look at the ins and outs very carefully. e.g. can you have visitors to stay? If you sell do they have to approve the buyer?
Does the service charge go up every year and by approximately how much.  Does it include window cleaning, buildings insurance, communal television licence, water and general rates?  Also if possible ask some of the current residents what they think, ask how sound proof the flats are. Some elderly people are hard of hearing and have their tv's and radios turned up loud, would this disturb you. 
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

sparky

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »

Sheila, Yes service charges are fairly high, but its not a deal breaker for me, and even if I do it with their part exchange package I would still be on the winning side by about 75 grand, I my pocket and as the saying goes you can't take it with you,
Minniemouse, yes the service charges cover all those things except council tax, and their is a guest suite for the bargain £25 a night, as their are only about  a third of the apartments sold so far, I did not see anybody to chat to, I might go back next week and stay longer and see if I can find a new occupier to have a word with, but if anybody on the forum has their own experience I would be grateful for any imput

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
I'll be following with interest.  I hope someone can help sparky.

firenze

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »
Sparky...I'm having precisely the same thoughts, I downsized but not enough.  I've been here sometime and now am looking for even less responsibility.  I will dither a bit longer as I can't imagine being in a neighbours  pocket.  Do I really want gathering into group things? I don't know so i will see how you fare!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
Do any of you good folk or friends etc live in retirement properties?, I went and viewed a new McCarthy and Stone development today within spitting distance of  my present property, and was pleasantly surprised at the size and layout, much better than some poky claustrophobic ones I looked at years ago, the bonus for me would be same Doctors 4 mins away as now, and all the same local shops etc that I use, any comments god or bad would be appreciated.

McCarthy & Stone had some terrible reviews a while back including an undercover report so please try & get as much independent advice as you can.

If I remember correctly most of the complaints were about hidden & ill-explained costs & punitive fees if you wanted to sell.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »
I've just googled 'problems with McCarthy & Stone Retirement Flats'.  Dispatches did an undercover tv programme which uncovered faults and there were other complaints.

Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

brian54

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:41:39 PM »

Do these apartments have a garden which you can let doggy in to at say 6am?. Are they big enough to give 2 dogs enough work?.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:09:33 AM »
Who gives a flying firkin? They're apartments and perhaps Sparky doesn't have a doggy, let alone two? If he does, it's likely that he's he's intelligent enough to have considered it already and wouldn't forget about them in his decision. Not everybody is as obsessed with dogs as you are Brian..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 07:09:55 AM »
This is from an over 50's forum & outlines the potential financial disaster of buying a McCarthy & Stone retirement home.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=10015
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

brian54

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 07:41:05 AM »

Who gives a flying firkin? They're apartments and perhaps Sparky doesn't have a doggy, let alone two? If he does, it's likely that he's he's intelligent enough to have considered it already and wouldn't forget about them in his decision. Not everybody is as obsessed with dogs as you are Brian..

Every pensioner in my close has a dog. Some like me have 2. They are great company.

Alfred

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »

Hello Sparky,

my wifes cousin and her husband  live in a retirement home  part of a complex where the actual place she lives is in a building block on the ground floor the building has  three floors with lifts,
where she lives on this site there is a restaurant mainly run by the residents, but a daily chef and cook arrive on the site,
there is a variety of meals, on offer each day, and  there is other amenities too such as a laundry room , an on site  doctor and a nurse, both of who visits the site several times a week but in an emergency they can call them in or go to the surgery which as I understand it is very local. they have a cinema on site which is run once a week mainly by the residents them selves , which they pay five pounds a year each,  there is a mini golf course and other amenities too .such as a laundry room, to have a meal in the restaurant you have to book a table the day before ,for your table , 

there is a bus which calls twice a day into town for people who cannot drive or own a car, ect,

to me, the down side is the service charge, and on top of that is the council tax as well, year on year,  , so when you start going into all the financial side of living in these these places has to be looked at very hard , as service charges rise every year , and you have to allow for this as you know,

your not allowed to have your laundry on a clothes line out side  your property  as the laundry room has heater facilities  to dry your laundry,   so there are understandably restrictions in the do,s and don'ts

so sparky look at all the small print and if your still not sure perhaps you could speak to one of the actual  resident living in these places to get a better idea and understanding of all that is involved, and  not the management or sales staff ,who will try to persuade you , as its in their interest , a sort of bums on seats  speech, so look at  all the expenses involve before deciding , once committed there's little choice of turning back , so really think of and look at everything,  before you decide,

I hope you find what your looking for but don't rush any thing until you have fully gone into all the nooks and crannies , before you decide  ,  as this most likely will be your last move and you don't want to get it wrong,

good luck in what ever you decide, best wishes,  alfred,

Sheila

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
This is from an over 50's forum & outlines the potential financial disaster of buying a McCarthy & Stone retirement home.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=10015

Interesting Phil.  I did suspect that there could be problems.

brian54

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »

Another point. Somebody I know lives in a retirement village but the only qualification is you have to be 55+.
A lot of the residents still work and some are walking to their cars and starting them at odd hours so it is probably not perfect from that point of view.
Obviously those people will retire and their noise will stop but he suspects more early workers will arrive.
As it happens there are nurses each side of him and they both leave very early for work or come in very late.