Author Topic: Cars You No Longer See  (Read 8892 times)

Coastal

Re: Cars You No Longer See
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
I can remember that my uncle for many years had a trouble free blue Ford Corsair, my brother bought it off him and had nothing but trouble with it.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Mondays Child

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:08 PM »

When I was 18 I had a Vauxhall F series like this but in cream colour.
It had been imported from my family in Belgium for me. Bench seats, column change 3 speed gearbox. Loved it

Maywalk

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

This was our car for 35 years. She was still in pristine condition when we finally had to let her go because of my husbands deformed foot through his arthritis. She had carried three brides to the alter and we visited many car shows countrywide. The painting of her was done by an artist who was smitten by her.
I always used to joke that she had more rub ups than I ever did.  ;D
The number plates are still being used and my granddaughter has just had them transferred to her new car. Its a case of keeping it in the family.  ;)

Mondays Child

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »
When I was in my teens and living on Merseyside there was a rumour going around that Ford Halewood car plant were bringing out a new model called the Ford Pubic. Apparently is was to be made from old Corsairs

Sorry couldn't resist.

StephenM123

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
The Invacar three wheeled invalid​ carriage. Seem to recall a banger race was held with some - even scarier than Reliant Robin bangers!   :o

Johned

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
Good one Mondays Child, I did'nt get it at first!

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Back in the late 60's whilst I was in the Army, I had a hand me down light blue Vauxhall Viva HA.
I was I think the eighth owner.
Every time the owner was posted it was sold on to someone else.
I paid £100 for it ran it for about six months and sold it for the same.
I am not sure it was ever serviced, had some 60k miles on the clock, but used to run without trouble.

I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

fortyone

« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
I had a couple of these

Mk3 Cortina

Mine were nothing but trouble - one needed a rebore and the next one a new auto gearbox. Neither got them.

I saw one the other day though and still think they are a good looking car. Most cars these days have no character and look very much alike but at least they keep going instead of clapping out every other week.

Mondays Child

« Reply #23 on: Jun 14, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Ford Cortina mark 3.
Where I worked the two managers were given these as company cars, both bright yellow with black vinyl roof.
Oh I envious I was.
I like yellow cars, I've got a yellow Fiat now which Scrumpy laughed at. 😂😂

fortyone

« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
Ah - mention of the vinyl roof jogged my memory further.

The roof went scabbed and rusty on the auto - it must have been a manufacturing fault I think - so I fitted my own from a kit. It set off the blue hammerite paint I'd used because the rest of it was such a mess a treat. How often do you see a rusty car these days?

Mondays Child

« Reply #25 on: Jun 14, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
Have to admit my Fiats paintwork is a bit dodgy so when it gets too bad I'm going to paint it in hammerite smooth yellow. Its only an 04 reg so its not worth having it resprayed. The respray will be worth more than the car itself.
The rest of the car is fine,well apart from the whacky electrics which tells me the engine has failed and other problems which are not happening.

fortyone

« Reply #26 on: Jun 14, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
... and I thought I was the only person to Hammerite a car. I've seen plenty that looked like Dulux had been used. All in the past now though as they just seem to remain pretty smart.

Dickie

« Reply #27 on: Jun 15, 2017, 05:20:23 AM »
OMG i had a hillman minx I think it was called and because it was covered in rust I had HUGEEEEEEEE Minnie Mouse stickers all over the doors and the bumper . It cost my dad 80 pounds and that's a fortune back then . My foot went through the floor and the garage said he couldn't pass the MOT and when they failed me I cried and threw the fail certificate at him and I still feel a bit guilty over that xxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

brian54

« Reply #28 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »

I had a couple of these

Mk3 Cortina

Mine were nothing but trouble - one needed a rebore and the next one a new auto gearbox. Neither got them.

I saw one the other day though and still think they are a good looking car. Most cars these days have no character and look very much alike but at least they keep going instead of clapping out every other week.

My father had a Mk 3 Cortina as it happens in red and it was nothing but trouble and he sold it after a year.
He happened to see it with its owner about 5 years later and asked him about it and the gent said it was the best car he had ever had and it had only had routine things like services, tyres etc.
It sounds if Dad had all the problems for somebody to have the benefit of a good car.

Dickie

« Reply #29 on: Jun 15, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »

My father had a Mk 3 Cortina as it happens in red and it was nothing but trouble and he sold it after a year.
He happened to see it with its owner about 5 years later and asked him about it and the gent said it was the best car he had ever had and it had only had routine things like services, tyres etc.
It sounds if Dad had all the problems for somebody to have the benefit of a good car.

Brian54 I've noticed new cars have tons of teething problems hence I've never had a new car plus their price drops tons and someone told me it's because of VAT whatever that means xxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me