Author Topic: Cars You No Longer See  (Read 8845 times)

avalonmpk2

Re: Cars You No Longer See
« Reply #45 on: Aug 13, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
My pals father had one it did about 11 miles to the gallon!!! very PC!
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

StephenM123

« Reply #46 on: Aug 13, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
I saw a VP 4litre R the other day. Against modern cars it did not look as large as it did 50 years ago. However the driver wore a smile which the drivers of 4x4s and people carriers did not!

StephenM123

« Reply #47 on: Sep 16, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
This link should bring back a few memories:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetzYO4GfDA

Alfred

« Reply #48 on: Sep 16, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »

in the past, and over the years v had only second hand cars among them I had at different times a ford popular, Vauxhall 101, Hillman  minx, Wolsey, triumph , a Cortina , ending up with a Citroen Picasso 5 seater, my current car,

I'm sure other forum members most likely would have had even more cars ,
how ever when ever I see an old film I often see cars iv long forgotten especially the cars with doors that opened the opposite way they do today and some even with running boards as well , even the wing mirrors arranged differently to they are today, ..........great fun,

fortyone

« Reply #49 on: Sep 16, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
I can't afford the bandwidth here for all of the 5 minute video but I'll certainly watch it from home and test myself on what I recognise.

In those days cars were far more individual. These days there are just a few basic designs according to size and all the manufacturers seem to have just copied each other. Boring.

prestbury

« Reply #50 on: Sep 16, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »
This brings back memories of cars I have owned.

First car was a 1967 Vauxhall Viva HB, I'm sure was manufactured out of weetabix, followed by a 1960 Ford Anglia, one of the best cars I have owned with its own quirky characteristics such as when the long gear stick snapped of at the base and for a while gears were changed with the aid of a pair of mole grips attached to the stub of the stick.

Ford Cortina Mk2 1.6, cam belt went on this and the pistons jammed a couple of valves . A swift whack with a hammer on the valves freed them, new cam belt and all was good for several thousand miles.

Vauxhall Chevette for a short while, horrible car followed by a Volvo 265 3 litre estate, what a beast that was, bought it at auction rattling like a sewing machine. My knowledge of this pointed to a simple cam  replacement little did I know that it was a V6 engine and the cam sets were around £200 each. Nonetheless it was done and I managed 120,000 miles in this until sold.

Vauxhall Cavalier, smoked like a chimney. 3 Ford Mondeo's Mk2. Mk3 and Mk4, all good solid cars.
Current vehicle is a Ford Focus

Alfred

« Reply #51 on: Sep 17, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »

reading of other forum members cars reminded me also of the gear sticks,in these vehicles . that is firstly a manual car, the automatic ,then even a column change where the gear stick was underneath the steering wheel  how times have changed,
I'm sure many of you also drove with these different types of gear sticks too,.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #52 on: Sep 17, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
Sure did , I had an Austin Cambridge with a column change .

I like watching the TV programmes set in the 60s just to see some of the cars from that era ...George Gently , Heartbeat & etc.

Just remembered I also had a Mk.4 Zephyr with column change some years ago .
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

Johned

« Reply #53 on: Sep 17, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Horses for courses and differing tastes I suppose Prestbury but for a number of years I hired Vauxhall Chevettes and eventually acquired one of my own.  I really liked them, decent roadholding and economy and it never let me down.  It met it's end whilst idling waiting for the lights to change at an intersection in Leicester.  There was suddenly a jarring crash jolting my back and it turned out a young man in a brand new Mini had driven right into my car rear.  He pushed in the chassis below the boot lid which remained horizontal.  My car was eventually written off but all he sustained was paint damage on top of his front wings where they had gone under my boot lid.  He was profuse in his apologies in front of many witnesses declaiming it was entirely his fault, he was not looking where he was going!  I even felt sorry for him.  The only worry was my car was pushed forward in the impact into the rear of a newer Chevette in front of mine.  The only damage was the snapping off of a reverse light bracket.   This was driven by a charming young lady who promptly had hysterics as it was evidently her mother's car.  The original perpetrator of the accident and I ended up trying to calm her down and console her.   

zoony

« Reply #54 on: Sep 17, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
Similarly..Some years ago I'd just picked up a lovely little Triumph Vitesse and was still in the town I'd gone to for it. I stopped to allow a couple of ladies to use the zebra crossing and was promptly rear-ended by a woman with a wide-eyed child by her side and unrestrained. She was furious with me for putting her and her son's lives at risk by stopping at a zebra crossing.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #55 on: Sep 17, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »
First car, a Comma van when I went to Scotland with my first submarine, Took me to London and back almost every weekend for about five years. (big mattress in the back ;D). After that I went over the bike until I came out of the Navy.
Many different cars in the ME, not the least a big Chevy convertible, but my favourite was my Alfa Romeo Montreal which, stupidly, I sold before I came back! Should have put it in a container and brought it home!!

This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

em

« Reply #56 on: Sep 17, 2017, 09:32:09 PM »
I still remember the jowett javelin belonging to a boyfriend in the distant past.

firenze

« Reply #57 on: Sep 17, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
I've sold my car and not replaced it....yet!   Hope I don't get too fond of the armchair.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #58 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
Can always put wheels on it  ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Fred Smiff

« Reply #59 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »

;D ;D
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁