Author Topic: Closing down an account  (Read 1621 times)

Khufu

Closing down an account
« on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
Recently my partner of 25 years passed away. In her Will she named me as her executor, she left money in 3 accounts with the Nationwide. Three weeks after she died I started the most upsetting task of putting her affairs in order.
After 3 visits in 4 weeks to the local branch & several forms which have to be counter signed by a solicitor I seem to be no nearer to resolving my problem. She had an account with the Yorkshire Bank, they took copies of the Will, death certificate, & proof of my identity and the money was transferred immediately. Has anyone else had this problem with Nationwide.

Grahamesme

Re: Closing down an account
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »
Very sorry to hear of your loss

Being named as an executor in a will in fact has no legal standing until you obtain probate, which is the first thing the executor normally does. This means getting forms from your local probate office, completing and returning them. Once you have probate issued, you should find dealing with banks and building societies far easier and straightforward.

On the other hand, if the affairs of the deceased are relatively simple, then you may prefer to avoid going through this process. If you don't have probate however, I'm afriad that some financial organizations can be rather difficult and time consuming in making you prove your entitlement.