Author Topic: Phone calls  (Read 2684 times)

Yellowbird

Phone calls
« on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
I am getting desperate just had two more rubbish phone call, we are getting more and more, some early in the morning, which if you have a family you have to answer just in case. It is beginning to get both Ron and I down. Sometimes they speak, but often they wait and then say good bye I am on the phone call nuisance list but that doesn't help. Anyone got any suggestions before I go completely mad ?
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Alfred

Re: Phone calls
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:30:54 PM »

Hello Yellow bird ,

Some years back I too found I had nuisance callers , so I bought an answering machine and iv found that these people don't like talking to a machine. of course you can report it to b.t but the answering machine to my way of thinking is worth the expense ,
I hope this helps

alfred,

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »
Have you a BT phone with caller ID?  You can set up a personal blacklist to block calls.
You'll have had your tea.

Yellowbird

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks Alfred and Traveller for advice. I have started to ignore the calls that come up as unavailable and you'r right Alfred they never leave a message, but sometimes there is a number so you think it might be a real call, not entirely sure how to set up a blacklist Traveller but I will look into it before I actually smash the flipping phone. Can't quite think what they get out of making these calls ?

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
Yellowbird, Yes if you are using BT, They have something  called "Call protect"t I think its relatively new, you can set it up to bar withheld numbers, international , etc. you can also set any numbers you want to stop. and they also automatically stop calls when they become aware they are nuisance calls.

Yellowbird

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
Sparky, thanks, I actually use Sky, but will check if they have a similar scheme, it would be nice to get at these bores, I know some people do it for a living, but I wish they would bare in mind the nuisance they are to most people (me anyway)

Mondays Child

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »

I was getting nuisance calls for quite a while. I answered the first two as my landline doesn't have caller display but then I just stopped answering the phone and they eventually stopped. The only person who rings my landline is my ex and we set up the three rings code were she let's the phone ring three times then rings off and rings me back straight away. (She gets free calls with her contract) My landline is a cheapo wireless one and now I've lost the handset somewhere in the house so now I just use my mobile. My new smartphone has got WhatsApp so we have family conference messaging instead which costs nothing. I've just bought a sim card for my Doro Old Age Pensioner flip phone so I can use that for my sideline hit man and secret espionage business. Oh! what a give away 😱

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
To block all the nuisance calls you need a phone which uses "Call Guardian" technology along with caller id which they use. Many of the BT DECT sets include it, just look for the magic words in the description.

They take a little effort to set up as you need to whitelist all the numbers you want to allow through unchallenged. Any caller that isn't whitelisted will be asked to give their name. If they do it rings and you hear what name they gave so you can either block it, allow it through once, or add it to the whitelist.

Since getting one I've had no nuisance calls at all while before they were a common annoyance.

This google shopping search will give you the idea but be sure to check any specs before buying as it may show phone without call guardian despite asking for those - https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=shop&q=Call+Guardian+phone&hl=en

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
Are you signed up to the TPS - you can sign up here:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

prestbury

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:14:46 PM »
Are you signed up to the TPS - you can sign up here:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

I think Yellowbird has indicated that they have this. Must admit I have found that TPS is not fit for purpose.

As fortyone said, the Guardian system is good. I have it installed, having said that the phone is rarely plugged in, I tend to use mobile instead.

Emmy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »
I am new to this forum. What complicated lives some of you lead.I have never received a nuisance call or a dodgy email.Should I feel deprived?

Mondays Child

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
I am new to this forum. What complicated lives some of you lead.I have never received a nuisance call or a dodgy email.Should I feel deprived?

Hi Emmy, welcome to the forum.

Its not a problem, like I said I just ignored the calls and they stopped. The dodgy phishing emails I sometimes get are pretending to be a parcel delivery confirmation supposedly for something I've bought online. They just want me to give my card details to confirm my delivery.
These things happen sometimes that's why I have a personal email and another for forums etc I go on. 😀

Yellowbird

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:51:45 PM »
Thanks to people on this forums suggestions  I looked into Sky Talk Shield and so far its brilliant, not one bad call today. My Granddaughter rang and thought it was rather cool to have to be checked in to get through. Thank you Sky, sanity restored (I hope, early days).

Dayjo

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2017, 10:57:53 PM »
Today. We received four unwanted calls, on our landline. All stopped, by Call Guardian.....
Also, I received a call on my mobile. From an "accident" advice service......

Yesterday, I had purchased some ball races, from a Supplier, and paid, by Paypal. Who have my landline and mobile numbers.......
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

Mondays Child

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2017, 11:30:39 PM »
Dayjo.
Ooh what you using the ballraces for. I used to fit loads of them all different sizes on the printing machines I worked on. 607 2zr shielded mostly on the ink/fount system rollers as they collapsed the most. God that's sad its still I have that inside my head.

Just thought, those phishing emails started when I used my other than personal email for the first time on here.
Hey.... Its not one of you bu**ers on here trying to gain access to that £2.46 I have in my bank savings account is it.