Author Topic: pension credit review  (Read 7152 times)

Cassie46

pension credit review
« on: Jun 15, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Hi all, i've just joined the site and it seems very informative.
My question is....When do they stop these reviews?  I turned 70 and have just come off the phone after having a 20 minute review.
Do we have to go through this forever?  I was getting reviewed every year until I asked why, they informed me that they would leave me alone until my 70th birthday.
I care for my 97 year old mother with dementia and this is stressful enough without the constant hounding. (as I see it).
Thanks in advance. Cassie.

Sheila

Re: pension credit review
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »
I've never had a review.

brian54

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »

I don't know. I don't get pension credit in spite of having 2 dogs. They only have half a home each.

ladypatricia

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2017, 11:54:52 PM »
Hi, just joined and coming across this site whilst looking for Pension Credit Answers.

Due to being disabled both physically and (slowly) mentally with early onset, I have relied on Pension Credit to top up my State Pension.    In early May I received notification of a visit to find out who lives in my house.   I then noticed that my PC had not been paid for several weeks leaving my finances in a complete mess.   Before anyone says I should have noticed, This money is put into an account to pay all my bills, so it is only if, and when they are not being paid, or in fact 'bounce' as happened, that I notice a problem.   This is a huge problem to me because in earlier years I got into deep debt and nearly lost my live after all the threats, visits, letters etc. from varying debt collection agencies.    I will never be in that situation again, or so I thought, now it is happening all over again, and I am using the rest of my small income to make sure the debts are being paid, even if I eat only occasionally.

There should not be a problem as only my carer ever visits the house, and yes has a bedroom for bad times.    All known and above board.

However, since beginning of May and following making a statement, I have heard absolutely nothing, zilch !!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, due to a problem with (mis) hearing, I do not use a telephone or mobile, I really have a phobia with them, and always ask any persons who I deal with to email or royal mail me.

I cannot get out of the house now, no money for taxis etc. and am just stuck.   I spend £20 per week on food, I have never smoked nor taken to drink .

Is this really the end, it certainly feels like it is, and I know if I get an eviction notice for the home I have lived in for 30 years, that will tip the balance.

So, really this is just a hope that someone in authority will read this and be happy that there is one person less to pay PC.   Thank you for allowing me to post on your forum.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2017, 07:01:51 AM »
Hi all, i've just joined the site and it seems very informative.
My question is....When do they stop these reviews?  I turned 70 and have just come off the phone after having a 20 minute review.
Do we have to go through this forever?  I was getting reviewed every year until I asked why, they informed me that they would leave me alone until my 70th birthday.
I care for my 97 year old mother with dementia and this is stressful enough without the constant hounding. (as I see it).
Thanks in advance. Cassie.

Sorry, I can't help you, I don't receive Pension Credit.

The only occasional query I ever have to raise is about income tax issues.

HMRC do, however, conduct an annual check on my income tax affairs so if regular checks are made on those of us who pay in, then why shouldn't the DWP do regular checks on those of you who draw out?

???
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Sheila

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2017, 07:14:40 AM »
I've never had a review.

Oops, didn't read it properly.  I don't get pension credit.  I'll go back to sleep now!

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »
Ladypatricia, it sounds as if you need someone who knows the system to look into this for you and perhaps act as an advocate in getting your PC sorted out.  Can you or your carer get in touch with an organisation such as Citizens Advice (CAB) or Age UK?  These organisations (and others) help lots of people with benefit related queries.

Unfortunately, much as I'd like to help, I know little about PC.  I hope you get this resolved soon.  Do let us know how you get on.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2017, 09:02:50 AM »
Its terrible that they have left you in such a mess.  Sorry I can't help, but I hope you get it sorted soon.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

ladypatricia

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
Thank you for the replies.   My carer tried all day to get through to Citizens advice, and was eventually told, you have to go through us to make an appointment for local CAB and there is nothing available until August!!     PC would not talk to my carer as she is not me!! although she explained my difficulties they just kept repeating you are not our client, please get her to ring us in person!!

She has been wonderful today and spent all her time with me trying to get someone to help - no-one cares a hoot, even brought me food out of her own pocket.

The trouble is, I am a very 'proud' person' and cannot continue in this manner.   I see people on here referring to 'free' money.   I am 71 and have paid into the system albeit via my parents until I was 16, and every week ever since, so I feel my answer to them is first, I have paid in since the start of the system 70 years ago and at my age I have paid in more (pro rata) than any other person who makes claims, other than those of my age of course, then of course there is the there but by the Grace of God go I

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts.   I shall go to my maker with my own personal thoughts about those who administer the system, somewhere there must be a whole load of hearts needing a body in which to show compassion.

Phil

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
Thank you for the replies.   My carer tried all day to get through to Citizens advice, and was eventually told, you have to go through us to make an appointment for local CAB and there is nothing available until August!!     PC would not talk to my carer as she is not me!! although she explained my difficulties they just kept repeating you are not our client, please get her to ring us in person!!

She has been wonderful today and spent all her time with me trying to get someone to help - no-one cares a hoot, even brought me food out of her own pocket.

The trouble is, I am a very 'proud' person' and cannot continue in this manner.   I see people on here referring to 'free' money.   I am 71 and have paid into the system albeit via my parents until I was 16, and every week ever since, so I feel my answer to them is first, I have paid in since the start of the system 70 years ago and at my age I have paid in more (pro rata) than any other person who makes claims, other than those of my age of course, then of course there is the there but by the Grace of God go I

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts.   I shall go to my maker with my own personal thoughts about those who administer the system, somewhere there must be a whole load of hearts needing a body in which to show compassion.

May I suggest that your carer contacts the DWP direct to explain your position & get herself designated as your 'appointee'.

It's usually better to talk to the organ grinder before talking to the monkey.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

ladypatricia

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
Thank you, we have tried that 'route' and we have an appointment for someone to come out and fill in the relevant forms mid-July!, but thanks anyway.

Phil

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2017, 09:33:31 PM »
Thank you, we have tried that 'route' and we have an appointment for someone to come out and fill in the relevant forms mid-July!, but thanks anyway.

Well that's a month quicker than the CAB could manage.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »
Ladypatricia, what about contacting a local councillor? When a much older relative of mine was in great difficulty, hundreds of miles away, that's what I did when I got nowhere with the statutory agency who should have helped. We got the problem sorted. You can get the details from your council website, and as you can use a computer, an email is a good way of creating a record of your concerns. 

R. Gervais

ladypatricia

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2017, 12:27:44 AM »
Hi, Done that - we have a new member since the election.   No response as yet, 48 hours and counting.   My local Housing Officer came today, and is also disgusted with the situation, and will hopefully get someone onto it for me.   She very kindly returned with a sandwich after seeing my ;fridge and cupboards.

Trying so hard to keep from the depression which is buying me at the moment, I built up to midnight last night waiting to check if any money had been deposited, no, the 8th weekly payment missing now!

Thank you for all your suggestions

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2017, 07:59:54 AM »
LadyP, thanks for the update.  As an ex housing officer, I'm glad you have one who is supportive. I really hope she can get the wheels in motion to get your finances back on track.  In the meantime, are there any community groups nearby that can help, a carers' association for instance.

also, could you email the PC dept stating you want your carer to deal with queries by phone?  Sorry I can't be of more practical help.

You may not like my next suggestion, but your housing officer could give you a food bank referral, which your carer could use on your behalf. It doesn't resolve the PC issue, but it's a short term solution to having no food in the house.  The problem with enormous, complicated welfare systems is that they go wrong, and people are left with inadequate income as seems to be the case here.

R. Gervais