Author Topic: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents  (Read 22836 times)

Phil

Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents
« on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
The task now is to rehouse the displaced residents of Grenfell Tower which is going to be difficult.

The process needs to be prioritised so that those residents who have jobs are rehoused in the area, but not necessarily Kensington, while those on benefits can be rehoused anywhere in the UK.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

fortyone

Re: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
I can't see there being a cat in hells chance of there being over a hundred apartments free in Kensington or most other places in the UK. An influx of 1/4 million plus each year for the past few years has soaked up just about all of the social housing.

Lord only knows what they'll do but sure as eggs is eggs whatever it is won't be appreciated and Tory cuts will be blamed for not keeping a few hundred places free in every borough in the land just in case.

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
I believe the council admin staff had to be evacuated when the mob stormed the building.   I imagine they were already working on finding places to house everyone, so that didn't help did it !  ::) .

JCBDriver

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »
They struggle to find accommodation during a normal working week, so given the exceptional circumstances this week it won't have helped one jot to have their work interrupted by a mob. It would have had the counter effect for the calls for "action" from the protesters.   

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
I believe the council admin staff had to be evacuated when the mob stormed the building.   I imagine they were already working on finding places to house everyone, so that didn't help did it !  ::) .

Rioting won't help anyone, least of all those who are homeless after the fire. I've read that the council are prepared to pay private rents for the time being if necessary as there is no chance of having enough social housing available overnight.

I believe that any tenant who has lost their home in the tragedy should have priority for rehousing within the social sector when homes become available. I hope that those who owned their flats will get housing for as long as it takes to sort their situation out.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

ronyork

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
Scenes seen on T.V. last night ,and mobbing our P.M. will do nothing to help the situation ,The people who have lost their homes must realize they all cannot be housed in the same area, so they must accept they will go elsewhere. The scenes we had yesterday could have been from the middle east and I wonder how many taking part were not from that area of London, just troublemakers  of course this all suits Corbyn and his followers. It was mob violence taxing our  overworked police force and not helping the situation at all. No doubt our P.M. is doing her best in this awful situation not helped by this kind of mob culture/

JCBDriver

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
I'm appalled to see Labours attempts to spin this as a Tory engineered  event. In particular the personal attacks on the PM. I have no doubt she has just as much compassion as the rest of us and this is not somehow trumped by Jeremy Corbyn.
If there is a blame game in train then perhaps Labour supporters should look back to 2000 and Tony Blairs introduction of the Decent Homes Program which initiated the whole cladding and "beautification" of tower blocks.
Add to this the EU driven reduction in emission targets by energy saving measures it is hard to see how the current administration can bare the sole blame for the current Grenfell tragedy.

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
It said on the news  last night that some people were still sleeping in the Sports Centre on the floor and had not been offered temporary hotel accommodation yet.  Apparently because of workforce cuts the Council is understaffed and can't cope.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »
Mobbing the town hall will have slowed things up even more. I doubt very much that the people who are shouting the loudest are those who escaped the fire.  The enquiry needs to start quickly with the cause of the fire then the reasons for the speed and ferocity of the spread.

Some explanations and speculations are already in the media, but I want to hear from independent experts.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Phil

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
I'm appalled to see Labours attempts to spin this as a Tory engineered  event. In particular the personal attacks on the PM. I have no doubt she has just as much compassion as the rest of us and this is not somehow trumped by Jeremy Corbyn.
If there is a blame game in train then perhaps Labour supporters should look back to 2000 and Tony Blairs introduction of the Decent Homes Program which initiated the whole cladding and "beautification" of tower blocks.
Add to this the EU driven reduction in emission targets by energy saving measures it is hard to see how the current administration can bare the sole blame for the current Grenfell tragedy.

Corbyn can indulge the luxury of being totally superfluous to the needs of the country.

This enables him to reschedule his 100% unimportant diary at a moment's notice to go & hug people & promise them the earth whilst smug in the knowledge he doesn't have to deliver a single thing.

Theresa May, on the other hand, is hampered by the annoying side-issues of being Prime Minister & having to deal with annoying meetings which could have been scheduled weeks ago & which she has to attend.   

If the 'blame game' was an Olympic sport the UK would win bronze, silver & gold.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

minniemouse

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »
Perhaps we should build pre-fabricated houses again all over the country to address the shortage.  There are 'brown' sites where factories used to be, and the perimeters of playing fields would also be ideal without encroaching too much. In London in some instances there may be living accommodation above shops which is empty.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »
There are nearly empty tower blocks in eastern London. Also several new tower blocks.

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
I believe there were 120 flats in the destroyed block, we have not been told how many dwellings are required to rehouse the survivors but it can't be more than that; there are about 100 dwellings to find, but they will have to be kitted out and furnished because the residents have got nothing. That cn't be done overnight and will probably take weeks.

Phil

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »
There are nearly empty tower blocks in eastern London. Also several new tower blocks.

There's accomodation in the North East, it doesn't have to be in London or even the South East.

minniemouse

« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Accommodation but no jobs.