Author Topic: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents  (Read 22918 times)

Phil

Re: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
Accommodation but no jobs.

The task now is to rehouse the displaced residents of Grenfell Tower which is going to be difficult.

The process needs to be prioritised so that those residents who have jobs are rehoused in the area, but not necessarily Kensington, while those on benefits can be rehoused anywhere in the UK.

Please see my first post.

It doesn't matter where you live if you're on benefits.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Ashy

« Reply #16 on: Jun 17, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

Johned

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
As we underwent the biggest defence cuts in our history in recent years, under the Conservative administration of Cameron, there must be plenty of ex MOD properties i.e. redundant barrack accommodation, ex married quarters etc which could be readied to meet an emergency such as this appalling event.  As it is, it appears that the local council and central government are doing very little.  Had these unfortunates been from the upper classes with their luxury accommodations, I have a sneaky feeling that something would be already arranged in the pipeline for them.  Perhaps I am being unfair?

Traveller

« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
I wonder how many of the residents had adequate home contents insurance?  If they did, their contents and belongings could be replaced.  Was the building itself insured?
You'll have had your tea.

Phil

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »
As we underwent the biggest defence cuts in our history in recent years, under the Conservative administration of Cameron, there must be plenty of ex MOD properties i.e. redundant barrack accommodation, ex married quarters etc which could be readied to meet an emergency such as this appalling event.  As it is, it appears that the local council and central government are doing very little.  Had these unfortunates been from the upper classes with their luxury accommodations, I have a sneaky feeling that something would be already arranged in the pipeline for them.  Perhaps I am being unfair?

Not unfair, just totally unrealistic.

The wealthy, in line with probably all home owners, have insurance & would make their own arrangements so wouldn't need to have accomodation provided, yet again, by the council.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:04:20 AM »
Good morning Phil.  "yet again" really does make it sound as if you are blaming these poor people for loosing their homes.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Phil

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »
I wonder how many of the residents had adequate home contents insurance?  If they did, their contents and belongings could be replaced.  Was the building itself insured?

Sometimes councils self-insure.

I haven't worked out the make-up of the residents yet but the media certainly didn't interview any old London East enders.

In fact I can't recall an English name.

Was this tower block being used mainly to house immigrants?

If so then contents insurance may not have been in place.

Phil

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Good morning Phil.  "yet again" really does make it sound as if you are blaming these poor people for loosing their homes.

If you say so.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »
It comes over like that to me but that may not be what you meant.  I have no idea.  It would be very sad if you were blaming them and I would be very surprised to hear someone say that.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »
From various reports it would seem that the majority of the occupants were migrant Muslims of one race or another, many also on benefits so highly unlikely they would have any insurance.
The whole thing is just terrible and could probably have been prevented.
I doubt we'll ever know the whole story. No doubt the blame game will go on forever.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Phil

« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
It comes over like that to me but that may not be what you meant.  I have no idea.  It would be very sad if you were blaming them and I would be very surprised to hear someone say that.

It's necessary to follow the whole thread because a post in isolation often make little sense.

I was replying to

Had these unfortunates been from the upper classes with their luxury accommodations, I have a sneaky feeling that something would be already arranged in the pipeline for them.

And pointing out that the wealthy wouldn't need any help so nothing would be in place for them as they'd be fully able to sort things out for themselves.

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
Lots of local authorities offer contents insurance that can be paid alongside rent.  The landlords would of course have buildings cover. 

I disagree that it doesn't matter where people on benefits live. Support networks are very important to people with health needs. Consistency at school is important for children. Each case will be different.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #27 on: Jun 18, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »

Thank you Phil.  I can see that your reply was in the context of a previous post.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #28 on: Jun 18, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
In general, it is interesting that so many people seem to think this block was filled with those they feel it is OK to disrespect even in such tragic circumstances or am I reading your some of the comments wrongly and they are not intended to be disrespectful?

Some of the flats were owner occupied apparently; many of the people were working and some were retired, some disabled.  I did hear someone asking yesterday, on one of the news programmes, why the disabled seem to have been put on the upper floors.  Personally I can see no reason why their ethnic heritage comes into this at all.  They were all human beings.

Granny Mac, I agree that it does matter where people, even if they are on benefits are housed.  Firstly, we do not know if these people were on benefits, they may not have been,  and it is also the case that the majority of people on benefits (excepting pensioners) are on in-work benefits.  Moving them too far away could mean they may not be able to work.  Also as it appears there have been no government or local government people on the ground during the majority of  this time, only volunteers,  so it would be removing them from the only support system they have been offered at the very time they need it.

Alex22

« Reply #29 on: Jun 18, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »
Who is showing disrespect to the victims ?    Is it not permitted to comment on the fact that a lot of the people interviewed were of ethnic minority  ?

If the building had been occupied by say a Scottish pipe band, would it also have been wrong to say the victims came mostly from Scotland ?  but of course I may have totally misunderstood your last post UP