Author Topic: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents  (Read 22917 times)

Grumpyfrog

Re: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents
« Reply #210 on: Jun 25, 2017, 10:45:30 PM »
In a past life (when I was working) I often had cause to inspect houses and flats and estimate/schedule for refurbishment works.
It was not unusual to see portable gas stoves and butane containers in kitchens.
It was also not unusual to see extra large sauce pans full of cooking oil.
Great until something goes wrong!
I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

Akbuk

« Reply #211 on: Jun 25, 2017, 10:57:52 PM »
In a past life (when I was working) I often had cause to inspect houses and flats and estimate/schedule for refurbishment works.
It was not unusual to see portable gas stoves and butane containers in kitchens.
It was also not unusual to see extra large sauce pans full of cooking oil.
Great until something goes wrong!

Been there, seen that :-)
I look at some of these programmes on TV where multi occupancy in a three bedroomed semi is a disaster waiting to happen. We couldn't build enough houses to deal with what's actually going on in the UK.
I’m a real he/him.

GrannyMac

« Reply #212 on: Jun 25, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
Akbuk, there are plenty of houses, just not in places where there are too many people. Lots of properties to rent and buy at reasonable prides all across t'north.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #213 on: Jun 25, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »
goodness, gracious, this is a forum of the wise, or so I am led to believe, thank goodness, we,  the majority on here, are not making the crucial decisions. that affect the lives of people we have never met.

Akbuk

« Reply #214 on: Jun 25, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »
goodness, gracious, this is a forum of the wise, or so I am led to believe, thank goodness, we,  the majority on here, are not making the crucial decisions. that affect the lives of people we have never met.

You don't have to meet people to give an opinion or a thought do you?
Reading posts on the various threads on this forum it seems many people have given opinions without meeting the people.
I’m a real he/him.

Dickie

« Reply #215 on: Jun 26, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
The whole thing is a nightmare . Councils in areas where these blocks exist have to think of a safety issue immedietly . Being serious there is NO WAY they can rehouse all those people immedietly and I bet any money if the tenents were asked they wouldn't want to leave the home they lived in a loved for so long . Fire estisnguishers must be sorted out but mostly the press are making people panic and that's so wronggggggg xxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Akbuk

« Reply #216 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
The whole thing is a nightmare . Councils in areas where these blocks exist have to think of a safety issue immedietly . Being serious there is NO WAY they can rehouse all those people immedietly and I bet any money if the tenents were asked they wouldn't want to leave the home they lived in a loved for so long . Fire estisnguishers must be sorted out but mostly the press are making people panic and that's so wronggggggg xxxxx

From what I can see this Camden tower block is similar to the house that Jack built.........cr*p. There's issues with internal walls, internal fire doors on the actual flats, internal gas installations........the surrounding garden & the carpark looks OK though.
My thoughts are, if they shift all these people out, how does the workforce gain access to peoples flats?
I’m a real he/him.

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #217 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
From what I can see this Camden tower block is similar to the house that Jack built.........cr*p. There's issues with internal walls, internal fire doors on the actual flats, internal gas installations........the surrounding garden & the carpark looks OK though.
My thoughts are, if they shift all these people out, how does the workforce gain access to peoples flats?

Assuming that tenants have insurance, I wonder what the implications would be if various teams of workmen are allowed free access???
I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

Dickie

« Reply #218 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:27:22 PM »
There isn't an answer here unless they all get together and say what they want to do . I think most will want to stay where they've lived for so many years without having a problem so far and they will just want an answer as to how they could evacuate if a problem arose . Councils need to have an answer as to how they can get out if they need too . Oh blimey it's scary for them all because the press are all saying they are in danger but it's ridiculous and scaremongering so in my heart I think just wait until councils come up with a remedy xxxxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Akbuk

« Reply #219 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
Just been announced in Parliament that there's over one thousand fire doors missing from the four blocks I Camden. These are relatively recent  refurbishments, so what happened there & was they removed during that refurbishment period and replaced with substandard rubbish?
I’m a real he/him.

Dickie

« Reply #220 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »
Just been announced in Parliament that there's over one thousand fire doors missing from the four blocks I Camden. These are relatively recent  refurbishments, so what happened there & was they removed during that refurbishment period and replaced with substandard rubbish?

It just doesn't seem possible Akbuk and it's just so awful but I still say where is the answer my darling . They either leave which I bet they don't want too or wait for an answer to this nightmare situation . They won't want to leave their homes which they have spent so much money making lovely so really they need an urgent answer for security on emergencies but Akbuk I lived on the six floor of a similar building and honestly I promise you I wouldn't have wanted to move out ALTHOUGH I would want to know what security was there for me in the future xxxxxxxx

Phil

« Reply #221 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
The MP Jim Fitzpatrick is the first person I've heard speak any sense when he said that he didn't see the cladding as the main cause of the deaths & that there must be multiple other causes.

Well now it's all coming out.

I'm speechless that that any flat wouldn't have at least an FD30 firedoor & hopefully an FD60 firedoor.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

ronyork

« Reply #222 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »
Various reports I read point to the cooking arrangements in some multi racial properties seem to be on the edge of  very  dodgy and unsafe to themselves and neighbours, Where is the tenant of the flat where the fire started, he seems to have gone missing,

katkin11

« Reply #223 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
totally agree with minniemouse build some prefabs i lived in one in gendros in swansea years ago, brilliant ,everyone was upset when they were removed

sparky

« Reply #224 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »

An alternative is to sort out which ones are failed asylum seekers and illegals, then  deport them for their own countries to house them, that should reduce the number of new accommodation needed