Author Topic: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents  (Read 22832 times)

Akbuk

Re: Rehousing the Grenfell Tower Residents
« Reply #225 on: Jun 27, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »
The MP Jim Fitzpatrick is the first person I've heard speak any sense when he said that he didn't see the cladding as the main cause of the deaths & that there must be multiple other causes.

Well now it's all coming out.

I'm speechless that that any flat wouldn't have at least an FD30 firedoor & hopefully an FD60 firedoor.

Seems it wasn't only the outside that was cosmetic, its an eye catcher though........."look at our new front door"
I’m a real he/him.

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #226 on: Jun 27, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
I have been into multi storey flats that have suffered a fire in one of the units.
Even with extensive internal damage, the fire was contained within the one unit although cosmetic smoke damage was evident to the exterior.
I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

Phil

« Reply #227 on: Jun 27, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »
An alternative is to sort out which ones are failed asylum seekers and illegals, then  deport them for their own countries to house them, that should reduce the number of new accommodation needed

Yeah, I can see that happening any time soon in the hand-wringing pc UK.

Even the police said they're not interested in who was legally allowed to be living in the flats.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

ronyork

« Reply #228 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
You can dream!

Akbuk

« Reply #229 on: Jun 27, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »
What's really sad is that these poor souls were told to stay in their flats, advice given with the view of genuine safety for people. Unfortunately that advice was given on the assumption that every other safety aspect was in place.
Someone(s) WILL get nailed for this & quite rightly so.
I also think someone in Camden will get nailed over the 1,000 fire doors or lack of. Cuts?? Load of rubbish, if councils haven't go the money, they certainly don't cut corners that drastically. If the original spec for those tower blocks showed fire doors, then thats what should've been used. I can only guess that some donk didn't know the difference between doors, just looked at the price.............you just couldn't make it up.
Two London landmarks, The Shard & The Charred 
I’m a real he/him.

Ashy

« Reply #230 on: Jun 28, 2017, 06:02:39 AM »
Our local council has got the money to tile over the ends of side streets all over the place. Makes them far more dangerous because you don't realise you are walking in the road, must have cost millions and it's all waste intended to keep budgets up. There haven't been any real cuts.

sparky

« Reply #231 on: Jun 28, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »
Akbuk, If its taken 27 years to now consider criminal charges over Hillsborough, I would not hold your breath for anyone to get nailed as you put it over Grenfell, and given that this one could involve ministers, we all now how well and how long they can cover their a***s

GrannyMac

« Reply #232 on: Jun 28, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
I don't agree Sparky.  It's the media age now, everyone has seen and heard so much and has an opinion! The chief exec of K&C council has already resigned, he's just the first IMO.  If the person whose flat the fire started in is in any way responsible, or residents who left flammable material or large items on landings (a problem in some council blocks), should that be acknowledged? Or will it all be down to those in high office?

I really hope everything that contributed to the fire, whether by large companies, local council or residents is identified and made known.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Phil

« Reply #233 on: Jun 28, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
What's really sad is that these poor souls were told to stay in their flats, advice given with the view of genuine safety for people. Unfortunately that advice was given on the assumption that every other safety aspect was in place.
Someone(s) WILL get nailed for this & quite rightly so.
I also think someone in Camden will get nailed over the 1,000 fire doors or lack of. Cuts?? Load of rubbish, if councils haven't go the money, they certainly don't cut corners that drastically. If the original spec for those tower blocks showed fire doors, then thats what should've been used. I can only guess that some donk didn't know the difference between doors, just looked at the price.............you just couldn't make it up.
Two London landmarks, The Shard & The Charred

Or they knew the difference, looked at the price & hoped that others wouldn't know the difference.

A properly fitted FD rated fire door will cost far more than a standard door because it has to have an frame that's approved by the door manufacturer which will give the correct gap when the seals are fitted.

Add to this the closure mechanism & the testing that should be done to verify the gap & the closing time & the actual cost could well be 6 times more that a standard door.

I don't agree Sparky.  It's the media age now, everyone has seen and heard so much and has an opinion! The chief exec of K&C council has already resigned, he's just the first IMO.  If the person whose flat the fire started in is in any way responsible, or residents who left flammable material or large items on landings (a problem in some council blocks), should that be acknowledged? Or will it all be down to those in high office?

I really hope everything that contributed to the fire, whether by large companies, local council or residents is identified and made known.

Everything & anything & any person that contributed to this fire should be made public.

If that involves a resident, legal or illegal, doing something stupid then that should be made public, even if it upsets the pc brigade.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

brian54

« Reply #234 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:26:13 PM »

An alternative is to sort out which ones are failed asylum seekers and illegals, then  deport them for their own countries to house them, that should reduce the number of new accommodation needed

I agree but this can not be done overnight. An immigration van was in our local park for about 6 hours and I was told in the end they got 1 person in handcuffs.
I only heard this storey second hand but I was advised a legal immigrant was sent on a course in London from Cardiff and was picked up by immigration. He had no ID with him.
An immigration officer had to go with him to get his ID which took several hours.
I do wonder why the person had travelled so far with just cash,

Scrumpy

« Reply #235 on: Jun 28, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »

I agree but this can not be done overnight. An immigration van was in our local park for about 6 hours and I was told in the end they got 1 person in handcuffs.
I only heard this storey second hand but I was advised a legal immigrant was sent on a course in London from Cardiff and was picked up by immigration. He had no ID with him.
An immigration officer had to go with him to get his ID which took several hours.
I do wonder why the person had travelled so far with just cash,

I have never seen an Immigration Van in this area.. Didn't know they parked up and waited.!!
 The only van we have that is parked up for a few hours is a lovely guy who sells fresh fish

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #236 on: Jun 28, 2017, 01:27:12 PM »
I have seen such a van in my street a few times and I am surprised they don't put it there permanently.

Phil

« Reply #237 on: Jun 28, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »

I have never seen an Immigration Van in this area.. Didn't know they parked up and waited.!!
 The only van we have that is parked up for a few hours is a lovely guy who sells fresh fish

Six hours seems a long time.

When we did joint raids with immigration the van was there for the duration of the raid which would typically take no more than an hour.

http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/local-news/immigration-van-attacked-in-shadwell-9733495

brian54

« Reply #238 on: Jun 28, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »

Six hours seems a long time.

When we did joint raids with immigration the van was there for the duration of the raid which would typically take no more than an hour.

http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/local-news/immigration-van-attacked-in-shadwell-9733495

I don't know what they hoped to get. Sutton Park is very big.

Akbuk

« Reply #239 on: Jun 28, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Akbuk, If its taken 27 years to now consider criminal charges over Hillsborough, I would not hold your breath for anyone to get nailed as you put it over Grenfell, and given that this one could involve ministers, we all now how well and how long they can cover their a***s

I disagree, Hillsborough related to crowds of thousands, this escapade doesn't.
The bottom two or three floors of the tower block will hold a lot of evidence because they seem relatively unscathed to the rest of the building. Tower block units are usually mirrored floor to floor.
Were they fitted with the same/similar fire doors that the flats in Camden were I wonder? Those first few floors will give that answer.
I don't think a local authority will get away with, "well next doors local authority did that". Each authority has & should answer for its own screw up.
I’m a real he/him.