Author Topic: Country crafts  (Read 283 times)

Traveller

Country crafts
« on: Jun 19, 2017, 05:51:36 PM »
We've always been keen on crafts like jam and preserve making.  When we retired we thought this would be an ideal opportunity to pursue these hobbies,  and rather assumed that many people in the village would also make similar things.   We soon discovered that very few people bothered with these crafts and those who did were the 'incomers'  pursuing 'the good life'.

At least, we don't have much competition when it comes to foraging.  The elderflower is coming ready and later on I'll be on the lookout for Rowan berries,  wild raspberries and Sloes.  No problem with getting nettles for nettle beer which is an excellent summer drink.

It seems a pity that more people don't keep these country skills going.  Anyone else make their own preserves, pickles, cordials etc..?
You'll have had your tea.

peterpensioner

Re: Country crafts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
We used to do a lot of this years ago when the children were small. Kept it up for a few years when they had all flown the nest but to be quite honest we ended up giving most of it away, we just couldn't consume as much as we made, its difficult making jams chutneys etc. in small quantities.

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »
Things like chutney need to be kept for a year or so to mature, so we make a year or so's worth in advance.  It's a good way of using the vegetables that all seem to come at once!  We make about 10-15lbs at a time.  Cordial also tends to be made in batches of about 10-12 litres.

This is our primary store, the surplus are in the utility room...

I also enjoy making up lables for the jars....

You'll have had your tea.

sueboo

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
I used to be very into country crafts, had a solid fuel Rayburn Cooker and always had homemade soup, bread, pickles, jams etc.  Remember trying to make coffee once out of some sort of hedgerow berries, tried nettles which were revolting. 
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Dickie

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
Travellorrrrrrrrrr I'm jealous sick now xxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »
Very IMPRESSIVE!!! My Mother always made jams and chutneys, and preserved eggs during the war but I think today many of these cottage industries have disappeared today.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

sueboo

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
I'm not so sure if they have CC I know lots of friends scattered around UK who still make hedgerow goodies etc.
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
My mother used to make delicious green tomato chutney and I have never bought any proprietory brand to equal it.

Dickie

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »
I'd love to buy homemade chutneys oh yummy . I don't eat half the amount of cheese nowdays because named brand pickles aren't very tasty .

What is a preserved egg ? I was born after the war but I've never heard of them xxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me