Author Topic: I wish Social Workers would not jump to conclusions.  (Read 2250 times)

brian54

Re: I wish Social Workers would not jump to conclusions.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2017, 08:07:01 AM »

Councils try to just get the money regardless of who it belongs to.
What the social worker was thinking was if the step mother had paid for the roof to be renewed then the step daughter should pay the money back.
I did hear of a case once where a bathroom was replaced without the consent of the offspring owners and they said they did not want the bathroom replaced in that colour and the council wanted them to pay.
I did not hear what happened eventually.

brian54

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »

I went with a lady who had been left a bungalow by her parents. She got her mother's half when she died. Her father got married again and left her his half on condition she let her step mother reside in it until death or entering care.
First the social worker said it would have to be sold to pay for her care but the lady then produced the land certificate showing the property belonged to her.
There had been a visit and it was noted the roof was new and the kitchen was as well. The daughter had receipts showing she had paid for this work.
As a last resort the social worker said the daughter was under a moral obligation to pay her step mother's fees. Again the daughter said she was not paying.
Surely the social worker should have been thankful the father / daughter had provided her with a bungalow for nearly 9 years and not moan that the daughter should pay her step mother's care fees.

I took somebody to the hospital this morning and just happened to run in to the social worker.
She said it was immoral that her mother left her half of the house to her and the agreement preventing the step mother gaining ownership of the house was also immoral and it was going to cost the council a lot of  money.
She also said I was causing financial problems for the NHS / Council.
I don't understand how.
I think in this case the council should be grateful the step mother was accommodated in private property instead of the council having to accommodate her.

peterpensioner

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
I think that is totally unprofessional and possibly illegal for a Social Worker to discuss a case other than with the person involved or her appointee. I think you should report the Social Worker for unprofessional behaviour.

brian54

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »

I think that is totally unprofessional and possibly illegal for a Social Worker to discuss a case other than with the person involved or her appointee. I think you should report the Social Worker for unprofessional behaviour.

Hi peterpensioner

I was sitting in on the meeting when the lady was discussing the step mother's future.
The step mother does have other family so in my view they should take the step mother's business over.
As far as I know there is not much money on the step mother's side of the family.
Really I don't think the step daughter is obliged to do anything except return the property of the step mother which is in the house.

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »
I think you have a point PP. Social workers must follow the law. It's totally unprofessional to voice their personal opinion. I would certainly complain to the social workers manager and to the councillor in charge of older peoples services.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

peterpensioner

« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »
The step mother does have other family so in my view they should take the step mother's business over.

Doesn't really matter what your view is - if a person does not have mental capacity to manage their own affairs and assuming they have not given POA to anyone, then its up to the Court of Protection.

brian54

« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »

Doesn't really matter what your view is - if a person does not have mental capacity to manage their own affairs and assuming they have not given POA to anyone, then its up to the Court of Protection.

You are correct. The patient does not have mental capacity to manage her affairs. It was the step daughter who was in dispute with the council as the house belonged to her and not the step mother.

Scrumpy

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:55:51 PM »

I don't think YOU or the SOCIAL WORKER should be discussing anyone's PRIVATE business in public..
As a matter of fact I don't think you should keep telling us what happens behind closed doors at meetings..

Have you ever done jury service Brian.? It would be interesting to know whether you discussed the trial out of court.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
Hear hear...'Specially when one has no idea who might read these pages..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »

Too true... No-one knows.
There are spies all over.. We are all under surveillance.

M15  M16  Vice and Fraud squads   . I bet Judge Rinder looks in on us sometimes..

Firenze says she grows fig trees.. but what else.!!
Sueboo is always doing tip runs an digging... Maybe a tunnel.!
CC.. Always has his camera at hand... .. Who knows..
and why does Sheila visit these strange countries...!!
Grumpy frog !!... French spy.!
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

firenze

« Reply #25 on: Jun 28, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
Scrumpy how can you throw doubt on my mystery growing ;D  great fat figs honest injun!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Jun 28, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
RACIST!!!

;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

StephenM123

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »

Too true... No-one knows.
There are spies all over.. We are all under surveillance.

M15  M16  Vice and Fraud squads   . I bet Judge Rinder looks in on us sometimes..

Firenze says she grows fig trees.. but what else.!!
Sueboo is always doing tip runs an digging... Maybe a tunnel.!
CC.. Always has his camera at hand... .. Who knows..
and why does Sheila visit these strange countries...!!
Grumpy frog !!... French spy.!

I suspect MI1 could be resurrected (if it ever went) for Internet crime/hacking and are many of the drones MI4?

brian54

« Reply #28 on: Jun 28, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »

Something I have been thinking of is should the social worker discuss the matter with the step son or daughter in theory.
I am just thinking about what would happen if the step son / daughter changed the locks and would not give the council any info.
The council should check the records at the land registry and realise the property does not belong to the patient,
However there would be a need to get the patients property out of the house. 

GrannyMac

« Reply #29 on: Jun 28, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Perhaps leave it to the family, eh Brian?
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais