Author Topic: Are there any members using blood glucose monitoring kits  (Read 174 times)

Mondays Child

Are there any members using blood glucose monitoring kits
« on: Jun 21, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
I've been told by the new diabetic nurse to monitor my blood glucose levels and I seem to be getting quite high results despite diet changes and not using sugar.
If anyone uses one what can I do to reduce the levels besides diet etc.
I'm getting conflicting advice online as per usual.

cheddar-caveman

Re: Are there any members using blood glucose monitoring kits
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
I'm afraid it is almost entirely down to diet MC. Don't panic about "quite high levels" despite diet changes. How long has it been since you started the diet change and how are you "changing" your diet. One change at a time is best, you can't do it all at once and every change will take time to have an effect. It's important to eat regularly, don't skip meals.
The one person to consult, confide in is the nurse. Tell her of your concerns, that's what she's there for.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

StephenM123

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
I was misdiagnosed with Type II Diabetes some months ago. The BG targets recommend by NICE are 4 - 7 before meals and under 9 two hours after. I tended to be above that despite cutting carbs and being put on Metformin! This all came to a head when I collapsed at the end of last week. I am now in hospital undergoing tests and the consultant believes I am Type 1.5 (LADA). I am now on quite a low dose of insulin and feel a whole lot better!

Be wary with DSNs (Diabetes Support Nurse). Many at GP practices are poorly trained and make assumptions! Mine would not give me a BG meter and I would not have been aware of the issue if I had not been loaned one by a good friend.

They are bringing me a cuppa so must finish for now!

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
I'd listen to C-C on this one MC...And don't get too hung up on what's 'normal', it varies quite a lot from individual to individual....
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Mondays Child

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
This new diabetic nurse I saw said she had asked for me to come in as I had been referred to her as she handles the difficult diabetes case's. She really frightened me with all the things she said about what will happen if I cannot control what's going on. I struggle with the COPD and depression and things just seem to go from bad to worse. I try to make light of it with my silly comments and stupid jokes but I know its just a front I'm hiding behind.
I see the COPD consultant every 3 months and CBT therapist evey two weeks and now this diabetes thing just puts the top hat on it all.
The symptoms of these damn health problems combined, which I don't really want to go into because its too embarrassing, is just making my life so complicated and really getting me down.  I know there are lots of people suffering with bad health.
 I need to work some things out. Sorry.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
You can work some things out right here MC. We all have our issues and many become routine management after a time. You might check out a Diabetes forum as those long-term affected tend to know as much or more than some professionals as far as coping and management are concerned. I'm confident  you'll be made welcome by friendly voices. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.