Author Topic: Corbyn  (Read 13479 times)

Undercover Pensioner

Re: Corbyn
« Reply #120 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
Prejudice = an opinion not based on fact.  Akbuk you are showing yours.  Glastonbury has always been political from its inception:

The hot political campaigns of the times filter down to the festival, which expresses its sympathy by sharing its space, as for instance with the noticeable number of miners’ helmets on site in 1984 at the height of the Miners’ Strike, or the march around the site by protesters against the still extraordinary anti-rave clauses of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, 1994. It is in the extra-parliamentary arena that the Glastonbury political ethos is most keenly felt, though.

The main political focus for funds at Glastonbury started as the peace movement and there was a long term relationship with (CND; 1981-1990), Greenpeace (1992 onwards), and Oxfam (because of its campaigning against the arms trade), as well as the establishment of the Green Fields as a regular and expanding eco-feature of the festival (from 1984 on).  The radical peace movement and the rise of the greens in Britain are interwoven at Glastonbury. The festival has offered these campaigns and groups space on-site to publicise and disseminate their ideas, and it has ploughed large sums of money from the festival profits into them, as well as other causes.

It is not just at Glasonbury (better not call it Glasto or we will have more childish remarks) either where you will find left-wing politics being discussed at many festivals.  You could even sight the Hay Book festival as basically left of centre although, of course, the King of Hay was an anarchist.  What a sad youth you must have had in the days when all these festivals were free.  The very idea of shared space was certainly a left-wing point of view.  Glastonbury was just coming home this year.

Strong beliefs do not have to mean closed minds.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

fortyone

« Reply #121 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
Close on £250 a ticket doesn't really sound all that left wing anti-capitalist to me....

Ashy

« Reply #122 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
"Strong beliefs do not have to mean closed minds" maybe not, but people with strong beliefs have usually closed their minds.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #123 on: Jun 26, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying it hasn't changed fortyone.  Sadly the neo-liberals took over the country however, who knows where hope could take us.  My post was a reply to:

Standing on the stage at Glastonbury..........joke. Its a music festival FFS.

Well, FFS, it was just as it always has been.  Left-wing and proud of it.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Akbuk

« Reply #124 on: Jun 26, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Did you notice how for the first time in years Glastonbury wasn't mired down in mud. That was surely another Corbyn miracle..

Now if he had fed the crowds with five loaves & a few fish, Labour here I come.............. after all he's got the right initials JC.
I’m a real he/him.

Akbuk

« Reply #125 on: Jun 26, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
Prejudice = an opinion not based on fact.  Akbuk you are showing yours.  Glastonbury has always been political from its inception:

The hot political campaigns of the times filter down to the festival, which expresses its sympathy by sharing its space, as for instance with the noticeable number of miners’ helmets on site in 1984 at the height of the Miners’ Strike, or the march around the site by protesters against the still extraordinary anti-rave clauses of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, 1994. It is in the extra-parliamentary arena that the Glastonbury political ethos is most keenly felt, though.

The main political focus for funds at Glastonbury started as the peace movement and there was a long term relationship with (CND; 1981-1990), Greenpeace (1992 onwards), and Oxfam (because of its campaigning against the arms trade), as well as the establishment of the Green Fields as a regular and expanding eco-feature of the festival (from 1984 on).  The radical peace movement and the rise of the greens in Britain are interwoven at Glastonbury. The festival has offered these campaigns and groups space on-site to publicise and disseminate their ideas, and it has ploughed large sums of money from the festival profits into them, as well as other causes.

It is not just at Glasonbury (better not call it Glasto or we will have more childish remarks) either where you will find left-wing politics being discussed at many festivals.  You could even sight the Hay Book festival as basically left of centre although, of course, the King of Hay was an anarchist.  What a sad youth you must have had in the days when all these festivals were free.  The very idea of shared space was certainly a left-wing point of view.  Glastonbury was just coming home this year.

Strong beliefs do not have to mean closed minds.

I cant remember the last time an Opposition Leader stood on stage there to rip into a Sitting Government. Thats apart from what was going on down the road from his own constituency.
I’m a real he/him.

Alex22

« Reply #126 on: Jun 26, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »
Now if he had fed the crowds with five loaves & a few fish, Labour here I come.............. after all he's got the right initials JC.

Perhaps he promised people could claim a refund on production of a valid ticket stub  ?   :) or maybe free burgers  ?   

zoony

« Reply #127 on: Jun 26, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »
A publicity stunt and a very good one that worked very well. Seems daft to read much more into it than that.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #128 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:00:23 AM »
The only way is up....

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #129 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
A publicity stunt and a very good one that worked very well. Seems daft to read much more into it than that.
Yep, like his free uni suckered all the kids in to vote! Plenty of talk about things he know's he doesn't have to walk!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #130 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
Bee, thank you for the link to the article.  It is interesting to see how the author feels about who Australia has to offer but also the  reflection of Corbyn.  The one thing that did surprise me was the writing off of someone coming from out of nowhere, or at least no political party.  I would have thought France has shown that is possible.

Again, thanks.  It is always good to read well written articles of a length that can properly explore the issues.

ronyork

« Reply #131 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
If what I read and learn about Corbyn  I would think he is an out and out  Marxist  and a rabble and trouble maker stirring the younger generation with many promises, which means cash to be provided by who, Mr/Mrs Average who seem to know the value of money which Corbyn and his cronies do not, Surely the average voter can see what our land will be like with Corbyn at the helm.

zoony

« Reply #132 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
Perhaps reading a newspaper that you don't usually agree with might serve you better sometimes Ron.? Just to understand another view slightly better..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #133 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
Surely the average voter can see what our land will be like with Corbyn at the helm.
Apparently not judging by the result of the recent election. A triumph of hope over experience if ever there was one.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #134 on: Jun 27, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
What rabble has he roused ronyork?  What trouble has he caused?  All he has said so far seems to be that all should be able to use democracy not just some.