Author Topic: A Minor Inconvenience  (Read 2143 times)

Coastal

A Minor Inconvenience
« on: Jun 25, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
The moment his lifeless body hit the pavement, a crowd started to gather around him as people reached for their phones, one even phoned for an ambulance, the rest were just taking pictures, his life hadn’t amounted to anything special up until now, but with all the photos of his demise there was still a chance of fame, all be it a little late,

The ambulance came and the police put in a brief appearance, the officers asked the witnesses what they saw and if anyone was with him, but they all said more or less the same thing, he appeared to be alone and just collapsed without warning, his body was eventually placed on a stretcher and carefully loaded into the ambulance, within the next 10 minutes the police car left, the ambulance pulled away, and the small crowd of witnesses and onlookers dispersed,

Just prior to that, a few of the near stationary motorists were getting overheated by the delays, never mind the tragic circumstances, the loss of someone’s son or father or grandfather, a brother or an uncle, even just a friend, but much more importantly there were delays while the boys in blue were attending this tragic one act play.

So while the family and friends are unaware of the devastating news that’s coming their way, people who are going about their daily lives, doing nothing really important in the big picture of things, just off to work or going home, out for their lunch or doing a bit of shopping, and yet being delayed sees some people acting like it’s the end of the world, but for one person at least, today it really was.

Within ten minutes of the ambulance leaving, the traffic was back to its normal crawl, and people unknowingly walked over the spot where a few minutes earlier, an as yet unidentified soul drew their last breath, and as they say life goes on, well the world does, and It’s sad to think that as you leave this life, to those close to you it will be a life changing moment, but to others you may well be, just a minor inconvenience.

Coastal.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Glazer

Re: A Minor Inconvenience
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »

Bravo Coastal.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks Coastal..Nice one..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
Not much of a story line because when I started I had no intention of finishing it, I saw an advert on telly about 500 word short stories, so it started as a paragraph just to get an idea of what 500 words looked like, ended up with 365 including title and my name (MO Word is a great program, copy & paste)

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »
a nice flow...thanx
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
That reminds me of just a few years ago if a funeral procession passed by people would stop what they were doing until it had passed, out of respect.  Nobody does this anymore.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

It made me sad to think that we are unimportant to so many..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
so long as we remain important to a few ..ladies, worry ye not
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2017, 11:16:25 AM »

Yeah!!   Who cares about all them others.. !! 

I AM LOVED... I AM LOVED... I AM LOVED.. 
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Coastal

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
I'm afraid that's life, so to speak.
Over the years when I was on the road, I've seen drivers desperate to overtake funerals, accidents where the only concern is the delay, and I once attended a bus that had hit a pedestrian just outside the city centre, it was the last bus (00:02) from city and the driver was too shaken to continue, so after dealing with the driver and the police, I had to drive the bus to finish the journey (with a broken windscreen), and the main subject for discussion was how late they were getting home.

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
Coastal...I read that thinking it was real, so to find it was of your imagination
threw me for a minute.  Good story telling! Congrats;
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Scrumpy

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »
Many years ago we had a little post office around the corner . It sold many ,many things including wool, knitting needles ,stationary and Birthday cards .
It was particularly busy on a Monday morning when the local OAPs went to collect their pension .
The queue got longer and longer one Monday morning because the owner was late opening up . This was most unusual and the crowd offered their opinions to each other in the reason why .
The police and an ambulance drew up outside and although the crowd allowed the officers to pass they would not allow anyone to step out of line in the now long queue ..
I worked in the little shop next door so when I stepped outside I was able to see exactly what was happening.
The queue were told that the post office would not be opening ..
Did the crowd move? No .. They hung on in there until the word went up that the owner had died ..
Then they grumbled about where they would draw the pension .

Coastal

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
Yes it can be so annoying and inconvenient when someone goes and dies, what a terribly selfish thing to do.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
"This'll hurt you more than it hurts me!"
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.