Author Topic: New Strimmer...  (Read 946 times)

Traveller

New Strimmer...
« on: Jun 25, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
After about 15 years of use, my old B&Q strimmer has started to play up.  It starts easily, but clunks & clanks and sounds as if it's going to go  'bang' one of these days.  So, I've just bought a nice new shiny one - a Stihl FS50 CE.   Nice and easy to start, but uses a different gauge of line than my old one, so I've got a large coil of redundant strimmer line. 

I've also just fixed a 'cordless' B&D strimmer for a friend. She found it difficult to use a petrol strimmer so bought a battery one.  OK for trimming the flower beds,  but not for rough work. 
You'll have had your tea.

avalonmpk2

Re: New Strimmer...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
I've hung up the petrol ones, but just bought a real beauty a Bosch 36 volt light weight, but tough as old boots and uses the same batteries as the mower and the blower and the hedge trimmers and chain saw.
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
As I mentioned, I've recently repaired a Black & Decker 36V strimmer for some friends.  The casing at the 'business end' was made of plastic. Some string has got behind the hub and fouled the bearing which overheated and melted everything.  It's OK for trimming a few daisies  round the edge of the lawn,  but for a big garden and some rough clearing, you need a petrol one.  Same goes for lawn mowers - you can't beat a petrol one.  (Note, we're talking 1/2 acre of grass)
You'll have had your tea.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
I have nothing big enough to justify a petrol (smelly) strimmer. I've got a little hand held one I got free years ago from B&Q when I bought an electric lawnmower ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625