Author Topic: Don't give to beggars.  (Read 10223 times)

Akbuk

Re: Don't give to beggars.
« Reply #90 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »
There was a guy in Solihull Town Centre years back, played a mouth organ & had tambourines strapped to his legs............he was rubbish & I mean rubbish BUT he always pulled a few bob for trying.
We have donated to our local food bank since moving back to the UK & that will continue to be the case.
I will not give to a pavement sitter, nothing to do with booze or drugs (I have my own). I don't think it helps the individual to get out of the predicament that they find themselves in one iota. 
I’m a real he/him.

firenze

« Reply #91 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »
Nor me Akbuk...I donate to food banks if possible or a recognised local charity where volunteers cook daily for people in need.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

granny moss

« Reply #92 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »
I do give to Salvation Army and Red Cross, a bit more than that and I help in many other ways. I have given shelter and fed  the homeless young people without a home and helped them to get jobs. They are still my dear friends now. Grown up and with young families of their own. They did not have a home. I helped. God has been very good to me to help me have more than I need. Helping others is the only way I know how to express my gratitude. Although now a pensioner, I am so grateful I can still give some help. gmx

firenze

« Reply #93 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
Agree on Salvation Army and Red Cross, I always hope huge salaries are not paid to organisers altho' having said that their work can be invaluable in keeping it up and running.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Akbuk

« Reply #94 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
A friend of mine told me a little tale.

He had one of those iffy watch shops in Turkey & for the beggars out there the first port of call are the shops.
For about 3 or 4 years he used to have the same beggar come to his shop, he never gave money, it was usually a cheap watch he would hand over and get the same hard luck story. Got to the stage where my friend would have a watch ready & waiting for him, a "rulex" or maybe a "sporty nuke" one :-)

My friend bought a new car & had to go to a city about 70 miles away to register it & get the number plates for it. Government building, third floor, traffic dept, (been there) guess who was behind the counter? Yep the beggar !!
All hell let loose (normal for Turks), security & the manager all piled into the affray with the guy claiming mistaken identity..........he had worked in that building for 11 years & the manager backed him up on that. Of course whilst he's telling me this I'm keeling over with laughter but he's deadly serious (Turks don't like being had over). But the slam dunk was, the guy behind the counter was wearing one of the watches that my friend had given him.

Last comment from my friend about it was, "if he come to my shop again Akbuk......I kill this man". Fortunately the guy has never been back.   
I’m a real he/him.

Coastal

« Reply #95 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »
Along with the Sally Army Christmas Appeal I sometimes (about once a month) put food in the donation "box" in Tesco, soups, pasta, tinned meats, tea, coffee etc.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

brian54

« Reply #96 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
Along with the Sally Army Christmas Appeal I sometimes (about once a month) put food in the donation "box" in Tesco, soups, pasta, tinned meats, tea, coffee etc.

I only give to useful charities like Dogs Trust, Birmingham Dog's Home, Cancer Research UK and the Alzheimer's Society.

Coastal

« Reply #97 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
So you don't class the Salvation Army as useful?  ???  but you do include animal charities (and yes I am an animal lover)
I also support (either monthly/quarterly/yearly) The RNLI, Cancer Research UK, Marine Conservation Society, The RSPB, The Cambrian Mountain Society, and The Rainbow Trust Children's Charity, and those are all membership or donations, not lotteries.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

crabbyob

« Reply #98 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:57:53 AM »
i knew a lady who ran a charity for Romanian Orphans, the split was ridiculous i cant remember exactly but it was close to 10%--90% and the 90% wasnt to the kids...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

granny moss

« Reply #99 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
Charities are Big Business with Large executive offices with Fat cats sitting by a large desk. I only trust a couple of them. As you said: 90% and 10%...and you are right about who takes the large slice.....gmx

GrannyMac

« Reply #100 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
We donate to NSPCC & BHF, make  foodbank donations, along with annual support for a local homeless charity.  I get that some top bods are well paid, but in some cases their ability to raise the level of money available for the beneficiaries makes it viable.  Without the money raised by BHF to fund research into heart conditions, I think there would have been many more deaths from it.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #101 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Some charities work very hard. Wish them well and I help when I can. I have been helped by the Red Cross, and I shall never forget. Over the years I have helped in whichever way I could. gmx

Akbuk

« Reply #102 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »
Some charities work very hard. Wish them well and I help when I can. I have been helped by the Red Cross, and I shall never forget. Over the years I have helped in whichever way I could. gmx

Nice post............

Charity has to come from the givers heart, not via "give now". We all know when to really give.
I felt I was really netted some years back, I/we donated to Macmillan Nurses who I thought had helped me & my Father during his final hours. Turns out it wasn't Macmillan Nurses at all..........Cant remember the details but it was a classic case of donating to one place only for another to get it. I did challenge it afterwards but how do you say to that association I want my money back?

It just left a bad taste.
I’m a real he/him.