Author Topic: Non dependants and benefits  (Read 1721 times)

Maries1951

Non dependants and benefits
« on: Jul 09, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
Hi all was just wondering if anyone can help.My 19 year old grandson may have to move in with me.At the moment he is working full time. I get full housing and council tax benefit also pension credit.I am 66 and receive state pension high rate p I p for mobility and the lower rate p I p for care of which my son claims carers allowance for me.Can anyone tell me please if my grandson does come to live with me will it affect any of my benefits.Many Thanks

peterpensioner

Re: Non dependants and benefits
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
Please go to your local CAB and they will do a benefit check and advise on how your benefits will change if your grandson come to live with you.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Yep, CAB is the place to ask this M!!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »
I can only echo the above advice, or speak to a housing officer.  But be prepared to be told that a non dependent (ie an independent adult) living in your home would likely affect your housing and council tax benefit. As they have an income, they'd be expected to contribute.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »

Hello Maries1951 ,

Simply to wish you a  very warm welcome to the forum,  and its always nice to see new members, posting on the forum

alfred,.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »
Hi all was just wondering if anyone can help.My 19 year old grandson may have to move in with me.At the moment he is working full time. I get full housing and council tax benefit also pension credit.I am 66 and receive state pension high rate p I p for mobility and the lower rate p I p for care of which my son claims carers allowance for me.Can anyone tell me please if my grandson does come to live with me will it affect any of my benefits.Many Thanks

The short answer is yes.

It will affect your pension credit & council tax.

It won't affect your PIP.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Maries1951

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I will be making a appointment at my local c a b to get more information. Regards to all who replied