Author Topic: Something pinched my strawberries..  (Read 2741 times)

Traveller

Something pinched my strawberries..
« on: Jul 12, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
Went to pick some strawberries today and they were all gone in spite of being covered by a net.  First thought was 'somebody has pinched them',  but on looking closer it looks like 'some thing' .  The net had been disturbed at one end (although none of the pegs had been touched)  and something had made its way through the plants.   

In the last few days, there has also been evidence of an animal living under the summer house.
Earlier this year, it looked as if a badger had taken up residence,  so that is our no.1 suspect.

I must go and check for signs of one.
You'll have had your tea.

Sheila

Re: Something pinched my strawberries..
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I have strawberries planted in those triple pots that you can pile up on top of each other (thank you Poundland).  The blackbirds stretch up and eat the ones at the bottom but I get the rest.   

Mondays Child

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
I have a blackberry bush in my garden, would it be safe to eat them once washed? Or is that temping fate I will end up being ill .

sueboo

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
I bet its those pesky badgers, we were plagued with them at our last house, their favourite was sweetcorn, could clear a whole row in one night. :D
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »
Can't see why they'd make you ill MC..They're just blackberries after all...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Mondays Child

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
Can't see why they'd make you ill MC..They're just blackberries after all...

Hi zoony, just worried what birds and rodents might carry that I will catch.
Probably something exotic like monkey gland disease 🐒 or even worse like penguin shuffle feet 🐧 😁

Sheila

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
I have a blackberry bush in my garden, would it be safe to eat them once washed? Or is that temping fate I will end up being ill .

Didn't you go blackberrying when you went to Eastham woods MC?

I used to take my children and collect blackberries but I did put the berries in salty water for a while in case there were any insects in them.  Most people don't bother though.  My aunt just says 'they're just protein!' It doesn't seem to have done her much harm.  She is 93.

Mondays Child

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Didn't you go blackberrying when you went to Eastham woods MC?

I used to take my children and collect blackberries but I did put the berries in salty water for a while in case there were any insects in them.  Most people don't bother though.  My aunt just says 'they're just protein!' It doesn't seem to have done her much harm.  She is 93.

Not collecting as such but maybe eat one or two there and then.
My blackberry bush had loads of fruit on last year but the birds had most of them.
The old lady who lived here before loved wild birds and to the dismay of her neighbours used to put loads of bird feeders out which taught the birds to regard the garden as some sort of restaurant and toilet. I believe she had a pet pigeon in the house, which is basically a flying rat. No wonder they had the place cleaned by professionals and completely painted before I was allowed to view it.

Mondays Child

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
Sheila please for gods sake tell me off and tell me to get on with doing the bathroom, I'm on the tablet far too much. 😀

Alfred

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
Nothings really changed  as many years ago birds would peck through the tin foil cap on milk bottles, and once they had pecked through they had the cream at the top, very clever scoundrels  animals are smart cookies,as we all know,particularly magpies,

Sheila

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »
Sheila please for gods sake tell me off and tell me to get on with doing the bathroom, I'm on the tablet far too much. 😀

The weather's far too good.  Make yourself a cuppa, then sit and contemplate the blueberries.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
a few years ago my mate and i were playing golf on a strange course, we were stuck behind some slow players, but it was a glorious day and we were not in any rush, we got to the next tee just after they had played off and luckily there was a bench, it was beside a lovely copse of trees, and beside the bench were some bramble bushes, so when the guys in front went round the corner out of sight i decided i needed a pee, so pee i did just where the brambles were, then i sat beside my mate, and just as i sat down an old couple carrying baskets came round the pathway "look" the old lady laughed "i told you they would be ready" and ready they certainly were... she plucked one exactly where i had been and put it in her mouth "oooh"  she laughed "they are wonderful" they then proceeded to pick the berries... now my question is simply this.... Would you have told them?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
Naw..Much funnier that they didn't...and never will..

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »
No .. I wouldn't have said a word .. But savoured every moment .
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
Like she did the berries....

cowboy wisdom.