Author Topic: Statins  (Read 1284 times)

Phil

Re: Statins
« Reply #30 on: Jul 20, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
I was told that it was only Simvastatin that was affected by grapefruit (and poss. also manderin oranges).
I think Simvastatin is the cheap 'entry level' Statin, so that's what most GPs would prescribe.  It gave me terrible stomach upsets.

This seems to be confirmed by the NHS website....
  • Do not drink grapefruit juice if you're taking simvastatin. Grapefruit juice increases the level of simvastatin in your blood and makes side effects more likely.
  • Atorvastatin interacts with grapefruit juice if you drink large quantities (greater than 1.2 litres daily), but an occasional glass is thought to be safe.
  • Currently, healthcare professionals advise it is safe to drink grapefruit juice and eat grapefruit if you're taking other types of statins.[/l]
  • Well I'll continue to ensure that my wife adheres to the instructions that the pharmacist was kind enough to print on the label of her Atorvastatin which says 'avoid grapefruit products' which will eliminate all the combinations of how much grapefruit would affect the medication.

[/list]
    "I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #31 on: Jul 20, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
    I too take one statin once per day.
    During a visit to my doctor, I was asked about my family health history. He was quite alarmed when I told him that my father died from a heart attack at 56, and that my two brothers both have had heart attacks and triple by-pass ops.
    Perhaps I shouldnt tempt fate, but I to date, have not had any such heart problems.
    My cholesterol level has been around 4.3/4.5 level for years, and my heart rate at rest is low.
    However, my doctor has prescribed and suggested I take one 20mg Atorvastatin statin per day because of my family track record.

That was just over 2 years ago.

I am now beginning to wonder if I am doing the right thing.
    I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

Phil

« Reply #32 on: Jul 20, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
    I too take one statin once per day.
    During a visit to my doctor, I was asked about my family health history. He was quite alarmed when I told him that my father died from a heart attack at 56, and that my two brothers both have had heart attacks and triple by-pass ops.
    Perhaps I shouldnt tempt fate, but I to date, have not had any such heart problems.
    My cholesterol level has been around 4.3/4.5 level for years, and my heart rate at rest is low.
    However, my doctor has prescribed and suggested I take one 20mg Atorvastatin statin per day because of my family track record.

That was just over 2 years ago.

I am beginning to wonder if I am doing the right thing.

Blimey, you've had me checking my resting heart rate, which is something I've never done before, and it's exactly 60 beats per minute.
    "I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin