Author Topic: Huge salaries for B.B.C. staff,  (Read 3932 times)

em

Re: Huge salaries for B.B.C. staff,
« Reply #30 on: Jul 20, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
I could well be wrong,but I think that in Scandinavia all tax returns are open to public scrutiny.

zoony

« Reply #31 on: Jul 20, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »
Don't about the whole of Scandinavia em but that's certainly true of Sweden..

BTW, ITV pay their top earners a lot more. For example, Ant & Dec got 30 million for signing a 3 yr deal last year..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #32 on: Jul 20, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »
But that's not public money!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

zoony

« Reply #33 on: Jul 20, 2017, 05:10:47 PM »
What difference does that make? It's still the going rate for these people and the fact that it's partly our money doesn't matter a jot.

cowboy wisdom.

Johned

« Reply #34 on: Jul 20, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
I think it does matter a jot zoony, it is "our" money.  I am afraid in this day and age, the Beeb should stop being subsidised by us, the great unwashed and fight for their market amongst the other service providers.  These gross salaries have now been uncovered and along with MPs expenses originally exposed by the Daily Telegraph, we now have some inkling at just what goes on at the top echelons of our sick society.  What with these revelations and me harking back to Gordon Brown flogging off our 400 tons of gold at cut price, it is some comfort to know what goes on.  Not that we can do sod all about it!

Coastal

« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
I pay for my license, which allows me to have a television so I can pay for Sky TV.
Don't get me wrong, the BBC make some great programs, but not enough of them to warrant the costs involved.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

sparky

« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
We have allowed ourselves to be brain washed by these so called celebs and the media into thinking they are worth it, be they BBC or ITV, they would have a job to earn a living in the real world.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »
The BBC is a self-serving elitist cartel of family and friends and old university chums and mates from strange clubs in London.  That it goes on in Channel4 or ITN is not a justification for what goes on at the BBC, it simply reinforces our certainty that they are all crooks.  This notion of a market place of Talent is bogus, it more a sort of masonic cartel helping each other and each others family up the pole of success.  If it were a greasy pole, with the idea than some slide down, the arguments made of the BBC would by more palatable.  It is clearly not.
It quite one thing saying Murdock is a crook, but people freely go and buy his product regardless. That the BBC run an extortion racket, called the Licence Fee, seems to be overlooked by some.  If the BBC really was an institution overloaded with TALENT then people would be willing to pay a BBC Subscription Fee.   It rather confirms the view that the BBC produces little of substance when the institution is reliant on an extortion racket called the Licence Fee.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2017, 11:52:34 PM »
I think tax returns being published as they are elsewhere would help Em and Zoony.  I really do not believe that, until we see figures like those of these salaries, we really comprehend just what 'the top 10%' or 'the top 1%' actually means in what they take out of the general pot.  They do say fresh air is the best disinfectant.

That, and a true 'living wage'  would start to help close the gap between the two extremes of very rich and very poor. 
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

zoony

« Reply #39 on: Jul 21, 2017, 12:53:47 AM »
Makes me wonder why a 'wage cap' only works for one part of our society. Don't bother, it was rhetorical and I already know the answer.

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #40 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:55:43 AM »

Not only do they receive obscene pay packages but they are able and allowed to use various tax avoidance schemes .
I have lost count of the number of programmes that have been shown on TV recently about people possibly abusing the benefit system , and I applaud that, but I can never recall a single program exposing the countless so called celebs and others  screwing the system with their numerous tax dodges, is that because the programme makers, politicians, heads of companies etc are all up to it as well?.

crabbyob

« Reply #41 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:09:09 AM »
i think its only possible to earn £1,000,000 if your worth it... if your not worth it then they wont pay it...
i remember Ken Dodd being caught out by the taxman, now he was never a massive star, but i think the infamy certainly damaged his earning potential, then a couple of years ago another 'comic' was publicly caught out 'legally' fiddling his tax, and he has also slipped towards obscurity...
now Garry Linaker ..lol... get a massive pay out and lives in the USA, now that i object to, he will most certainly be erm devious in his taxation... lets get it back to basics all wages or salaries should be taxed at source... he is being paid here [and if he isnt then why isnt he] then he should be taxed here... if he left the BBC do we think he might get an equal opportunity in the USA?...Garry who?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #42 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
What are these metrics we use to identify the value of TALENT?
I see nothing wrong when a PoP star turns up in a field and holds a Gig, and 10,000 young adults pays £50 a ticket to see him or her.  I might criticise the young adults for their lack of taste and profligacy, but so what.  There is a relationship between the PoP star and the Yuff - the Yuff put a value on the PoP star at an instance in time.
But when Huw Edwards or John Humphrys turns up and delivers the news there's no relationship between the supplier and consumer.  For example, Huw Edwards had a go at Tom Bradbury for moving from the BBC to ITN for a salary in excess of what Huw gets from the BBC.  Yet the viewing figures of BBC news remains stubbornly higher than that of ITN.  The notional TALENT of Bradbury did nothing for ITNs viewing figures.  And, for that matter, the viewing figures of BBC news remains constant whether Huw Edwards delivers the news or some unknown overweight black woman delivers the news. What is this ridiculous notion of TALENT?  Is Jeremy Vine TALENT - well I think not.  Is there a 10 fold decrease in listening figures when Vine hands the turn-table to the following disc-jockey - well NO.
So it is all obviously bunkum and nonsense, and this notion of TALENT is a concocted idea to reward mates, and a concocted notion people use to excuse the BBC in all its rotten excesses.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #43 on: Jul 21, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »
Judging from some of the comments made, I question whether some folk here are even aware of what the 'talent' is that these much-derided presenters have so much of.
And you are an expert zoony? You certainly seem to like to come over as one ;)

To me, talent, like beauty, is in the eye/ear of the beholder. We're all different and therefore have different likes and dislikes when it comes to our listening and watching preferences.

However, we all seem to agree that Chris Evens is a prat ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

sparky

« Reply #44 on: Jul 21, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
Even prats have their uses, which is far more than can be said of Chis Evans.