Author Topic: Lets introduce ourselves  (Read 264154 times)

mike kennedy

Lets introduce ourselves
« on: Sep 26, 2006, 05:30:14 PM »
I wish to get more involved in getting just deserts for pensioners.
As a semi retired consultant, i want to get the message across to our politicians of the unfair treatment of pensioners, in terms of low state pensions, and even worse, the taxation of pensions.
Something has got to be done, and whatever it takes I am prepared to go the whole way.

Mike Kennedy d.o.b. 28.11.34

Jan H

Re: Lets introduce ourselves
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »
I retired this year and I am disgusted at what pensioners pay in tax and community charges etc.  After working all your life, paying your way, saving, paying tax etc, you are penalised in retirement by not getting any benefits and continue to pay all relevant taxes.  While people who have never worked continue to receive benefits, community charge paid, rent paid etc etc.  AND I  totally object to EU persons being able to claim benefits after working here for a year.  I am fed up paying for other people. I expect to stop paying some tax and community charges because I paid my dues during my working life. I do not expect to continue to pay for people that are too lazy to work or only been in the country for one year.  At least the tax free allowance should be raised to cover the full state pension and with a further allowance to give you some of your private pension tax free.

meggie

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2006, 02:13:38 PM »
In response to Jan H there is also the sneaky revenue Gordon Brown gets with the massive fuel increases because all these also have increased VAT. Pensioners here in Grimsby area have to pay large car park charges at the hospital, even disabled! Also a charge for travelling across the Humber bridge for treatment in Hull!. Recent political statements completely ignore our needs.
Meggie

Snail

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2006, 08:07:20 PM »
Hello Meggie, although I now live in Dorset, I too am a Meggie, born in Barcroft Street (yeah, I know, but you've got to be born somewhere), but lived my early years in Laceby, Ashby, Humberstone and Waltham, then, God help us, Grimsby. My sister still lives in Old Clee. I still think about the old place, but life moves on.

Snail

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
I think the biggest con this government - if you can call it a government - has enacted is the pension credit. According to all the hype, it's supposed to reward you for being thrifty, for saving, yet the more you save the nearesr you get to the point where you get nothing and all the time you are getting less. If you squander your money you get the lot. You can go for holidays to the Costas, buy an expensive car and booze your money away or maybe buy a couple of jags, but if you are caught giving anything to your grandchildren you'll get them coming down on you like a ton of bricks. Who thinks these things out?

meggie

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Chris.
Everything relating to politics is driven by personal greed and I think it needs someone like Mike Kennedy to pull the pensioners together to actually DO something instead of talking about it!  Most of us have contributed to our society for many years but are completely ignored. We have genuine complaints but are not heard individually. There are so many issues to discuss and so many problems that can be easily put right with the necessary will.
Meggie

copey

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
Hi Chris,copey here,just joined,I officially retire early January next year, although I have not been able to work since 1992 due to a spinal problem,as I approach the dreaded ? day I wonder how my new "status" will affect my way of life,I know I will lose certain benefits that I have been receiving over the past 14 years,and am wondering how how we will get on ,having to stop work so suddenley in my early 50`s  was quite a shock,I must admit I had only just set up a small private pension,thinking that there was still plenty of time to sort thigs out before my normal retirement...HOW WRONG  CAN YOU BE.hopefully I may be able to pick up lots of info on your site..

fran2gran

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
hello im fran im a pensioner who has recently moved into sheltered housing
it is like living on a desert island
no comunity room no nothing do you know what its like if so how do you pass time away

barmaidolly

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
Hi my user name is barmaidolly i retired this year from working in a club bar
i was there for 24 years . I had to retire because my legs wouldnt let me stand for to long i liked the job so i was sorry to leave. I have joined a computer class to pass my time away.

maud123

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:19:23 PM »
hi my user name is maud123 this is the first time i have entered this message forum. I found the info. very interesting, I am new to this and just learning about forums in a computer class for beginners. i will continue to check out entries on the forum. ::)

suddles

« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »
hello i am retired and have just taken up computer classes my name is suddles and i am quite a novice but enjoying it. :)

dot1947

« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:19:50 PM »
Hi, my name is Dot,

I am 60 in January, I work part time.  I do not want to give up working completely, but I am looking forward to relaxing a bit more!

I think it is wrong for the government to tax pensioners as they have paid tax all their lives.  I think the government does'nt have a heart when it comes to pensioners.

Ren

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »
Hi Chris,     my user name is Ren, we have been looking at your forum at the computer course we are on, and find it quite interesting.     I look forward to looking in more as the topics you bring up are an interest to pensioners everywhere.     Bye for now  :D

Tudor

« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:44:26 PM »
 Hi Chris,
 Once again the chancellor has done nothing to help ease the plight pensioners are in.  I agree with Mike Kennedy and Meggie that until we get off our backsides and show a bit of fighting spirit this Government will do nothing for us.   Somebody has to start things moving.   So can I start the ball rolling by suggesting a day of national disobedience early in 2007.   Let's make 2007 the year of the pensioners' revolt.   This Government has no respect for us.  You can moan and groan 'till the cows come home but Gordon will not take any notice.   So start taking real action. The gap between rich and poor is widening.  The true inflation rate for pensioners is nearly 10% and we are falling further into poverty while the rich get richer.    We have tremendous power if only we choose to use it.   Is anybody withme on this?
Tudor 

Finn

« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
My name is Finn and I believe that change will only come about by taking direct action.

One way to start is for each member on here to write to their MP on a particular day and ask whether or not they agree with the present level of pension payments. It must be a letter and not an e mail. If you get a vague reply back write back asking for a meeting. The more of a nuisance you make yourself, the more effective you will be.

Write to your local newspaper asking that other pensioners do the same and that all letters are posted on the same day.