Author Topic: Oral Hygienists - NHS  (Read 1339 times)

Emmaline

Oral Hygienists - NHS
« on: Jul 26, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
I recently changed my dentist and had an appointment last week. After checking my teeth he then proceeded to get ready to give them a clean but I reminded him that using the electrical equipment is not allowed as I have a pacemaker. He had to think for a moment and then said that I had to see the Oral Hygienist to have it done. A quite animated discussion ensued because I am on pensioners credit and therefore don't have to pay for my dental treatment except for the hygienists costs and why should I have to pay for that?!
Whenever an extra few pounds can be made by finding loopholes they jump on the wagon it seems.. the fact that he was quite proficienct in this field I would have to be seen by someone else .. that doesn't seem right to me!
All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

peterpensioner

Re: Oral Hygienists - NHS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
Welcome to the 21st century NHS!! I hate to be cynical but this is the way things are going. How long do you think it will be before we have to pay for GP appointments etc. etc. A conversation at some time in the future :

Ring ring

"Hello doctors surgery here"

"Could I make an appointment to see the doctor please, I have a very sore ear"

"Yes - we have a standard appointment in 3 weeks time"

"But my ear is very painful"

"We have a special appointment available"

"What's a special appointment"

"There is a £20 charge for a special appointment"

"OK I'll take it"

"That's fine just come at 10.00 this morning and the doctor will see you"

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
Where I lived in Hampshire, NHS dentists were as rare as hens' teeth  (excuse the pun), so you really needed to go privately.  Same with the physiotherapist.  Forget the NHS, go privately - only £25 a session.   

In this part of Scotland, I also found it impossible to find an NHS dentist, and even finding a private one was difficult.  Things have improved, but having found a very good private dentist I've stayed with her.  I pay a monthly fee which gives 2 checkups including X-rays (which are very high tech these days)  and 2 appointments with the hygenist annually .  Any other treatment is at a reduced cost.

Peter, you're not far wrong.  Some years ago I had a 'bad' back for which the GP prescribed rest and pain killers.  I asked about physio but he said it wouldn't be appropriate.  I said I had BUPA insurance through work and he said, "Why didn't you say that earlier".  He gave me a phone number, said "ring that", which I did and had an appointment with a consultant the next day.

The NHS is great for emergencies, but for routine work,  you're often best going privately.
You'll have had your tea.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »
Welcome to the 21st century NHS!! I hate to be cynical but this is the way things are going. How long do you think it will be before we have to pay for GP appointments etc. etc. A conversation at some time in the future :

Ring ring

"Hello doctors surgery here"

"Could I make an appointment to see the doctor please, I have a very sore ear"

"Yes - we have a standard appointment in 3 weeks time"

"But my ear is very painful"

"We have a special appointment available"

"What's a special appointment"

"There is a £20 charge for a special appointment"

"OK I'll take it"

"That's fine just come at 10.00 this morning and the doctor will see you"

Via Skype...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »
I go to a private dentist and have two check ups and two hygienist appointments a year.  Last time I went the hygienist said. "Now your getting older you need to come every 3 months".  I was surprised because I clean my teeth twice a day and always use tiny brushes for in between and floss. 
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
I'm a stickler for oral and personal hygiene. It is hard nowadays to find a NHS dentist so I go private .
This is not possible for some and I think if a person is genuinely unable to pay the extra for hygiene care they should be helped ..
Looking at some on a certain T.V. Program it would seem that many don't  care ..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

minniemouse

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
My friend goes to the Dental Hospital in Birmingham which means she doesn't have to pay anything and has the best treatment, the only drawback is, its trainees, although under strict supervision of course.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.