Author Topic: Blight and berries.  (Read 1973 times)

Traveller

Blight and berries.
« on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
This morning I discovered blight on most of our potato plants, so it was off with their heads!  Then I had to wash & change before going into the polytunnel to water the tomatoes (I didn't want to spread the blight to the tomatoes).

Rest of the morning was spent harvesting gooseberries. so I'm like a pin cushion!  Not a good crop this year, but enough for jam and maybe the odd crumble.  Mrs. T was helping to harvest blackcurrants, and arrived home with a box of them, so along with our own crop, there will be loads of blackcurrant jam too.

OK, off to Tesco to buy a load of sugar.
You'll have had your tea.

Scrumpy

Re: Blight and berries.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »

We used to go blackberry picking in our local park.. Always enough for jams and crumble..
I don't see so many today.. They seem to have come to an end..
I envy you and your wife the lovely outdoor life that you both lead...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »
Easily fixed Scrumpy, put a tent in the garden...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
And plant some blackberry and gooseberry bushes around it

firenze

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
I doubt our young won't go home with a jamjar with a string handle full of blackberries for a pie.  I did that with my last Grandson now 17 yrs; then we made a pie together, wonder if he remembers? No sun to ripen yet in the north/east, miserable drizzle!

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2017, 04:22:25 PM »
This afternoon, we dumped all the bits that we cut off the blighted potatoes.  Then we went and bought 5 ltrs of vinegar, 5 kg of sugar, cooking apples and onions.  When we got back we started to 'top & tail' the black currants and now we have stopped for a break..

This weekend looks like a blackcurrant  jam and marrow chutney making marathon.  We don't tend to pick wild blackberries, but we usually gather wild raspberries in mid-August.  I must keep an eye on the Rowan berries to make some Rowan & apple jelly.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
I really fancy a Bilberry pie now!
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
Blimey Traveller, just how big is your garden with poly tunnels, potatoes, gooseberries, blackcurrants etc etc ..........
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
it may just be big enough
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
It's not that big.  This is what they call a 'planned village' - one built to house workers for a particular industry.
The houses all had a standard plot of 1/5 acre so that they could grow some vegetables, keep a few chickens etc..  Of course it's not enough to provide all the veges, but we can grow some varieties that you can't buy  or are much better than shop bought ones.

Our friends to the north of the village have 11 acres, and together we keep the pigs and sheep there.
In return for helping them with the livestock,  gardening and maintenance, we get free organically grown fruit and veges.
For bulk items such as potatoes, the local coal merchant grows some excellent ones which we buy in 25kg bags.  We grow some less easily obtained ones ourselves.

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
No  berries to blight but do have Figs!  With the help of Sheila (where are you? :-* ) I get a good crop.  It does add interest to a concrete patio so very grateful for its company.

Mark Twain.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
where did you get your fig?...from a garden centre?... how long before it figged?... lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

firenze

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2017, 12:12:26 PM »
Craggyob...Fig bought at a garden centre...very successful, I think it fruited the following year.  I was boasting I could supply Tesco..great addition for both foliage and fruit and  gives  interest to a concrete patio.  Easy peasy just feed as you would in an exposed garden think of winter shelter.  Soak ripe fruit in Brandy and enjoy

Mark Twain.

minniemouse

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
I have quite a lot of figs on my plant but they are still green can someone tell me when they ripen and how do I know when they have.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

firenze

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
Too early Minnie...I'm in the n/east. A blast of sunshine is required, I think I get some ripe in late August. Water and feed in the meantime.

Mark Twain.