Author Topic: Swansea at war  (Read 3075 times)

minniemouse

Re: Swansea at war
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
Where it was 'all happening' apparently. ;)
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

StephenM123

« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »

Where it was 'all happening' apparently. ;)

Home of the DVLA. When I was put onto insulin I had to send my driving licence and multi medial questionnaires there. Have now got a new three year licence with a new photo - I looked younger on the old one!

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
lots of cities were in bad shape after the bombing, some more than others, for many years,  some evidence of the bombing may still be seen today I imagine,  were we slower than others to rebuild our country, I wonder?  of course all our cities are in better shape now I notice as I travel about,  maybe the fact that monies returned from eu. being specified for certain projects, has helped speed up the rebuilding and modernising of our country,  sometimes I wonder if this money would have been spent wisely, if we had not been  a member of the eu.

StephenM123

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »

lots of cities were in bad shape after the bombing, some more than others, for many years,  some evidence of the bombing may still be seen today I imagine,  were we slower than others to rebuild our country, I wonder?  of course all our cities are in better shape now I notice as I travel about,  maybe the fact that monies returned from eu. being specified for certain projects, has helped speed up the rebuilding and modernising of our country,  sometimes I wonder if this money would have been spent wisely, if we had not been  a member of the eu.

No it would have gone on vanity projects like HS2!

Phil

« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »

No it would have gone on vanity projects like HS2!

And Crossrail & Crossrail 2 & the Jubilee Line Extension & the Docklands Light Railway etc. etc.

But they're not vanity projects because they're in London.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

StephenM123

« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
Obscure fact no. 47. During the Shadows final live tour in 2004 they used to perform "My Home Town". Before performing it they mentioned their origins in Newcastle and then made mention of the grimy industrial towns of the North, the Midlands and Wales. When they played the Cardiff Arena on June 5th specific mention was made of Swansea. They were of course referring to how the towns were in the 50s/60s half a century ago!

zoony

« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
IMHO this is the finest song about such...shame that they got the lyric wrong..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK99y22uLv8
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »

yey, zoony, one of our fav. songs to be sung in the pubs on the dock rd.  bring home great memories.

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
Sorry SB...It's about Salford mate! ;)

cowboy wisdom.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »

aye, but a good old pub song.

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
Certainly is. In the States it worked very well, I guess because it was new to many and the Yanks are great audiences anyway.

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »
That's a good tune for a sing-along, I didn't realise it was about Salford.

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2017, 11:53:32 PM »
Yup. A Manc's anthem if ever there was one. Now a hub of the BBC! ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Johned

« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
I think that the trouble in this country sarahbilly that following WW2 we spent our Marshall Aid on inexcusable vanity projects like trying to hold on to our so called "Empire" when we should have immediately divested ourselves of that monolith right after the cessation of hositilities.  The Europeans spent their portion on rebuilding their industrial infrastructure and town centres.  Even today you can still see where there was bomb damage in some places.  In retrospect it is probably why the Germans and French did so well in their exports to our detriment whence we did not invest in our heavy industry because we could not afford it. 

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
yes johned, "the empire"  I often think about this, but have not given it enough research to have an informed opinion,  needs more scrutiny I think, [certainly from me] loath to comment more at this time,  however the little I have gained from the subject, the more I wonder,  why, did we have so much poverty and lack of opportunity in our own country  if we had all these supposed riches.  may be a lot of meat on the bone for discussion.