Author Topic: ding dong.  (Read 385 times)

Alfred

ding dong.
« on: Aug 17, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »

well at least for the next four years  the chimes of big ben will be silenced we are told due to repair being carried out, i should imagine for the people who live within then sounds of big ben they will be happy simply to have silence in place of gongs, i suppose any one living close to a church will also have to endure the bells as they ring out on Sunday mornings,

of course for special occasions such as weddings then that is very nice for newly wed couples to start life off with ............bells ringing in their ears so to speak,

Q; do you live near a church, if so does the chimes of the church bells annoy you or are you happy to hear them ring ??

granny moss

Re: ding dong.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
In Italy, I lived opposite the big bell tower of the Cathedral. Very large bronze bells at the top of a very large Tower. At first you hear them, but after a while, nothing. The brain is quite wonderful the way it selects sounds, and then discards them! The same when I lived about four meters from the railway....At first the morning train woke me up, then after a while, did not hear it anymore. It is very strange  ??? gmx

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
the bell has nowt to do with the repairs... its because they dont want to damage the workmens hearing
...lol... couldnt they just have hired Deaf people?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
Where we last lived, Axbridge in Somerset a couple bought a small terraced property in the main square, just by the church. Next thing they wrote a complaining letter to the council, demanding that the clock be stopped as it was disturbing them in the evening and nighttime. They got very short change and moved!
In Saudi Arabia no matter where you live you'll have a mosque within a few meters of you. Believe me, when those loud speakers kick off five times a day, the first being about half an hour before sunset, you know all about it!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
The Big Ben bong ban might matter to some 'Londoners' but the rest of the country, sorry, I'll just speak for myself..couldn't give a tinker's..There were people in tears yesterday! The rest of us have better things to worry about..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »
The rest of us have better things to worry about..

Now ain't that the gosh darned truth !
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
I live near the local church and often hear the bells being rang on a Sunday morning..  I don't like to hear a slow toll because that means a funeral .
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

StephenM123

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »

Where we last lived, Axbridge in Somerset a couple bought a small terraced property in the main square, just by the church. Next thing they wrote a complaining letter to the council, demanding that the clock be stopped as it was disturbing them in the evening and nighttime. They got very short change and moved!
In Saudi Arabia no matter where you live you'll have a mosque within a few meters of you. Believe me, when those loud speakers kick off five times a day, the first being about half an hour before sunset, you know all about it!

There was an article last year about some people who moved to Silverstone village and then complained about the traffic over the Grand Prix weekend. Over the years I have come across people moving next to stock car and race tracks and then complain about the noise! Did they think they were cycle tracks?

Johned

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »
Some years ago some nimbys from London moved into a local village near us and adjacent to RAF Wittering when they had the Harrier force there.  Evidently he was a lawyer and sued everyone in sight because of the noise of the aircraft.  No blame attached to him for not doing his homework about the environment into which he was moving!  He received generous compo and thankfully decamped back whence he came almost overnight.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
With a pocketful of tax payers cash for his trouble. It beggars belief..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:43:45 AM »
My daughter lives in a village. Moved here over 30 years ago....Now, someone recently moved from city to the village, and soon complained about the cockerel in the chickens yard.....For the sake of peace, the chickens have been moved into an enclosure in the field where the horses are. Luckily, the horses do not complain....but the foxes are happy !!!!!! ::)gmx