Author Topic: soft fruits,delicious,  (Read 1382 times)

Alfred

soft fruits,delicious,
« on: Aug 21, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »

My wife likes soft fruit such as strawberries, plumbs, raspberries, and the list goes on, well although when seeing these fruits on display they look good that is .........until you try to eat them,.. many are either slightly hard or have very little taste,

i suppose being force fed, doesn't help, as  yet years ago many  green grocers  had a nice display and if in doubt who say try one, and usually it did the trick as people having sampled  one spread the word to others milling around,

I can remember my late mother who loved the Victoria plumbs,and she loved them i distinctly remember seeing  her  wiping her mouth as these plumbs were very juicy, my wife's late mother a lovely lady  who also had passion for golden plumbs,  yet today its almost rare to find any fruit that looks and taste like its just come off the tree at all,

since many of the Kent orchards have long gone, do you think the government should encourage fruit growers to begin growing home grown fresh fruit, instead of many of the imported ones, which are a waste of money. it must be nice if you have a large garden with a number of fruit trees in it, after all you cant get better than that,.

Q; have you any thoughts on fresh home grown fruits,

minniemouse

Re: soft fruits,delicious,
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
I planted a raspberry bush and blackcurrant bush a couple of years ago.  It definitely tastes better than shop bought but unfortunately not much fruit as yet.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »
I was eating plums and greengages straight from the tree last weekend at our sons new house. They were delicious!   The pears are bountiful but not ripe yet.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
next door has a cherrytree that overhangs our garden, some years we get a good share but on others a hoard of starlings descend and bare the tree...lol...the buggers leave the stones dangling..
the garden on the other side of the cherrytree has a wonderful pear tree, conference pears, wonderful juicy pears that are quite bountiful this year, the Indian gentleman who lives there normally gives me a carrier-bag full... the only fruit we grow is tomato's we are picking them now and the truses are laden, we have around seven plants, one stronger than the rest, this is one that i planted myself, i sliced a store bought tomato put some earth in a small pot placed the slice on the earth and covered it with more earth, i got several seedlings but we had already bought six plants so i simply chose the strongest.... so Minnie... i suggest around Valentines day... slice a nice tomato and place the slices in several pots and report the progress here...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I'll do that Crabby.  (If I can remember)!

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
i might remind you... but dont think its a valentine
even if it is delivered in prose... ok it might be a valentine...lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »
I'll bear that in mind (or not) ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »
now i need to find words that rhyme with termatter

minniemouse

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
potatter

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
i will peruse and extend my vocabulary laying on a sun-lounger sipping
a water-melon juice....

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
Doesn't matter  ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
thanx pal... but its a valentine not a dear John....lol

Johned

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
My parents had a Victoria plum tree in their garden and the fruit was delicious provided you got to it before the wasps!  I am very "picky" over tomatoes.  A true English variety has a distinctive and pleasant aroma when you pluck out the stalk.  For some reason Spanish and Dutch which proliferate in our supermarkets taste nothing like our own.  So for me, it is English or go without!

crabbyob

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
any 'fresh' tomato gives a nice minty aroma when you pluck the stem from the fruit... but your right your own local tomato is or should be your preference ...

minniemouse

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2017, 04:15:21 PM »
If you like the small tomatoes Italian ones are as good as English, if not better.  Especially ones on the vine.