Author Topic: The State  (Read 471 times)

Alex22

The State
« on: Aug 21, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
Did anyone watch this on Channel 4 last night ?  It's about young 'British' people going to join ISIS - not exactly the best time to be showing this drama, but apparently Channel 4 refused to postpone it. 

BazzerPontefract

Re: The State
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Did anyone watch this on Channel 4 last night ?  It's about young 'British' people going to join ISIS - not exactly the best time to be showing this drama, but apparently Channel 4 refused to postpone it.
Alex,
Did anyone suggest we should encourage them?
They'll be slaughtering other Muslims over there, rather than other Lee Rigbys over here.

minniemouse

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Can't understand why we're letting them back in.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Can't understand why we're letting them back in.
You are not alone in thinking that.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »
Because we don't have any proper border controls.....

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »
Alex,
Did anyone suggest we should encourage them?

Not sure what you mean here BP.   ???

My point was as it's so soon after the latest ISIS atrocity in Barcelona, perhaps the drama could have been postponed.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
Not sure what you mean here BP.   ???

My point was as it's so soon after the latest ISIS atrocity in Barcelona, perhaps the drama could have been postponed.
Alex,
My response was to MM, who said something along the lines of: "I don't know why we let them [British Jihadis] back in", to which I responded: "You are not alone in thinking that".
As is often the case, with these topics, the responses can spin off at a tangent to the main point.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
Alex,
Returning to the point, I suspect you've read this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/21/the-state-isis-recruits-characters-television-drama
You no doubt appreciate that the 4 Jihadis aren't real - we don't actually see the real jihadis, but simply actors who are performing to a script written for Channel4.  Rachel Shabi, who wrote the piece above, claims, rather disingenuously, that we see the jihadis as real people, and not ignorant, uneducated, fanatics.  But how the stuff are we supposed to know, if we don't see real murderers leaving our shores to behead other Muslims in Racca, what are we seeing.
Let's face it, The State is the usual propaganda pumped out by Channel 4, because it is inconvenient for us to see the real fanatics as it does not fit with Channel 4s view of the world.  It is ludicrous,  when Rachel Sarbi claims, at the time of Barcelona, it opportune that we see murderous fanatics as human, just like the rest of us.
The Guardian and Channel4, these days, are asylums without walls or straitjackets.

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
I don't read the guardian BP - but thanks for that link.   Yes I know the characters are fictitious, which is why I called it a drama in my first post.  So far I've found it pretty unbelievable - but gripping.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
I don't read the guardian BP - but thanks for that link.   Yes I know the characters are fictitious, which is why I called it a drama in my first post.  So far I've found it pretty unbelievable - but gripping.
Alex,
Unbelievable,yes quite.

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
fiction based on fact?... or pure propaganda?
i think its the last one tonight...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”