Author Topic: obesity problem is on the verge of bankrupting the NHS,  (Read 3572 times)

caminito

obesity problem is on the verge of bankrupting the NHS,
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
BRITAIN’S growing obesity problem is on the verge of bankrupting the NHS, a shock new report reveals.

The study, which shows British people are the fattest in Europe, predicts that by 2025 obesity will cost the health service £20billion, equivalent to about 12 per cent of the budget.

Professor Philip James, founder of the International Obesity Task Force, who compiled the report, said: “If levels of obesity rise in line with Government predictions the NHS will no longer be able to afford to treat all of its patients.” Shaw Somers, who performed obesity surgery on 65-stone Paul Mason, said: “The Government has to urgently get a grip on the situation.”

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/228756Obese-will-bankrupt-NHS#ixzz1DpdMaR7S

Hugh

Re: obesity problem is on the verge of bankrupting the NHS,
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
I have brought this subject up before about obesed people I know a small number are obese through health reasons and you must be sorry for them, but just what can the goverment do about the rest of them put a large tax on junk food. I know they should be made to pay double when they get on a bus because it is not fair for them to take two seats and others have to stand.

Chrisjay

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
Are not the immigrants who can access the NHS without ever contributing, the overseas visitors who get healthcare they should pay for and mainly don't equally if not more responsible for the overstretched NHS.

However, if we were talking about controlling what is bad healthwise we should make smoking illegal and put huge 'fines' on alcohol and alcohol related incidents that fill up AEU on Friday and Saturday evenings and wards with heart disease and smoking related illnesses.

Although I don't smoke I am not anti smoking and the smokers would argue that if smoking was outlawed the NHS would suffer as the amount of tax raised on tobacco taxes virtually keeps the NHS in business.

But if you intend to tax people on weight then remember it starts there and ends where ???

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
“The Government has to urgently get a grip on the situation.”

So just what can the Government do about obese people. Smokers pay that much in taxes most of it should go to the NHS to pay for there care. Same again with boozers. So putting a little tax on junk food to go to the NHS wouldn't be a bad idea.

Chrisjay

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
What is the definition of 'junk food'  ???

Indian takeaway, cake, crisps, sugar drinks, Kentucky, pizza, anything high is salt or sugar, salted nuts, pies, chips, tea and coffee the list is endless about what constitutes junk food and one persons idea is not the same as someone else's.

Basically unless we raise and grow our own food almost everything is tampered with and has the potential to be 'junk'.  A bag of pre washed salad is washed in bleach to stop it discolouring, fresh fruits often have coatings to make them shiny or last longer, meat is fed with all sorts of things to make them fatten up or produce a certain type of meat.

People who are obese for reasons other than medical are no different from alcoholics or drug addicts no matter what the price they will keep paying it.

On one of the other threads someone posted anyone over 16 stone should pay? My ex was 17.5 stone and 6.6 tall and he was not in any way obese.  I remember a time when large men were asked to sit near emergency doors on planes to open them in an emergency, now people sitting in these seats are asked to pay extra for the 'extra' leg room.  It's all about perception :-\

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
Obese should never be judged on weight. A GYM friend who I exercise with looks less than 12 stone but he is more than 14 stone in weight. Obese should be judged on body fat and nothing else. A small tax on all take aways, and ear marked for the NHS wouldn't be a bad idea.

Chrisjay

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »
I agree but I bet the business owners would not as they would argue they are already taxed with business rates, income tax, NI and the new VAT rate and since when do the government ever ring fence taxes the car road tax is a prime example.

caminito

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »
I always gave my kids Tomato flavoured crisps for tea ........ well they helped towards their 5 -a-day   ::)

BBC Panorama....

In the same way as taxing cigarettes helped to reduce smoking and related illnesses, could putting up the price of junk food - as Denmark has done - cut obesity rates in the UK?

The first thing that struck me on the taxi journey into Copenhagen was how slim everyone looked.

I really had trouble spotting anyone fat.

And the second thing that became obvious the moment I stepped out of the cab and was almost run over by a cyclist, was that the Danes are clearly no strangers to exercise.

So why on earth has their government become the first in the world to introduce a tax on junk food?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9176000/9176897.stm

AND ....

Junk food and sugary drinks could be hit with 'fat taxes' in an effort to combat obesity and help fill the black hole in Government finances.

The Food Standards Agency is planning to consult on whether such taxes would help make people eat healthier food.

If imposed, the taxes would operate on the same principle as those on tobacco and drink to change behaviour and raise money.

The most likely option would be to apply the so- called fat tax to processed foods, snacks and sugary drinks.

However, under one scenario, 17.5 per cent VAT might even be applied to full fat milk, butter and cheese to encourage a switch to products with less saturated fat.

Food is currently exempt from VAT.

The food watchdog believes the nation is overdosing on saturated fat, which is linked to clogged arteries, heart disease and premature death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1275920/Fat-tax-junk-food-prices-rise-boost-war-obesity.html#ixzz1DyTsinBm

Chrisjay

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
Well hell lets all just go on bread and water and forget the rest and with the way prices are rising its the only thing pensioners will be able to afford anyway - as someone who does not drink water or eat bread (unless it's home made) I'm stuffed :'(

Wrinkles

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
Christ! if they banned junk food 90% of the chavs around here would die of starvation. The Local McDoodoo is packed out at 0800 as they take the kids in for their breakfast on the way to school. .... Mmm! on second thoughts, what a good idea  ;)
Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the hell happened?

Chrisjay

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »
And they say families are struggling now they have lost their child benefits/familily tax credit

Wrinkles

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
And they say families are struggling now they have lost their child benefits/familily tax credit

But for the skilled claimant those have been replaced with something else so they are still able to buy their junk food, cheap cider, fags and still have enough for a new track suit and silly hat every few weeks.
Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the hell happened?

Hugh

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
And just how many pensioners do you know Chris who go out and buy take away junk food. I can not remember the last time we did. No problem with the odd junk food treat.
I agree with Camito on many things he said. There are plenty of very nice choices of food on the market with out eating all this junk. Most wise pensioners look out for the cheap cuts which quite often, on offer because of shelf life about to expire. One thing that could be done is raise tax on full fat milk and reduce the price of semi skimmed.

A lot of these obesed people will either die before they retire (like my brother) or confined to their homes or wheel chair because their legs are unable to cope with their weight

Chrisjay

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »
Please don't touch the milk as I only drink full fat can't stand skimmed and don't do diet drinks either I don't have many pleasures in life and don't want to lose the few I have  :'( :'(

caminito

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »

This is one of the biggest dangers in healthy food intake

Some oils used in cooking can be dangerous for you and your family’s health.Cooking Oil

When oils are repeatedly reused, or heated above their smoke point, they may build up toxic compounds or release them into the air.

It is easy to tell whether cooking oil has been heated above its smoke point. It starts to smoke and produce an unpleasant odour.

When heated above the smoke point oilscan break down to produce aldehydes such as acrolein. Aldehydes are quite reactive and can trigger cell death and DNA damage.

In fact, acrolein was used as a chemical weapon during World War I