Author Topic: Is everyone getting any benefits they are entitled to?  (Read 4717 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Is everyone getting any benefits they are entitled to?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »
I agree PP.  There are pensioners who did work hard but in low paid jobs, who suffered illness or had a disabled child or partner to care for.  A friend was widowed a year or so ago, her husband was self employed but had invested in a pension.  For years she cared for aged parents who lived with them until they died. My friend and her husband were managing fine til he died and so did his income!

She had to claim for the first time in her life. A scrounger?  I dont think so.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »
PP, It would be great  if the benefit system worked well in the way you describe, but I believe far to often it supports many , crackheads, alcoholics,  fraudsters, bogus asylum seekers, and bone idle layabouts.

stellamaris

« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
I wish I knew of one of those estimate questionnaires to see if I would be entitled to any help with dental costs.   Those are calculated on what is left after income tax, housing costs and council tax have been paid.   I can find the actual application forms and the questions they ask but none give the average level of money left in order to qualify for help.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
It is almost impossible to find the way this is calculated stellamaris.  One of the things which seems to influence many claims is that you will not get it if you have over £16,000 of savings.  If you are in care it will be over £23,000 of savings.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

stellamaris

« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
I know UP - it does seem impossible.   It's clear who can't have it and clear who can have it but it's the whole heap of maybes in between.  I just wished I had kept up the 1p in the pound, or whatever it changed to - but, if wishes were fishes etc.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »

The simple bit is that, if you are on Pension Guarantee Credit, you will get it automatically.  If your income is above that, and you don't have more than the relevant savings, you will get a graduated amount starting at not having to contribute to any of the categories and going up to nothing.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

GrannyMac

« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
PP, It would be great  if the benefit system worked well in the way you describe, but I believe far to often it supports many , crackheads, alcoholics,  fraudsters, bogus asylum seekers, and bone idle layabouts.

There are people such as those you mention, but they are in the minority. Sadly the descriptors seem to be applied by some to all those who claim benefits.  :-(  The recent tightening up by the government, whilst working in some respects is penalising some genuine claimants.

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
I think there should be tins on lamp posts requesting donations for scroungers and benefits should be stopped.

Phil

« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »

There are people such as those you mention, but they are in the minority. Sadly the descriptors seem to be applied by some to all those who claim benefits.  :-(  The recent tightening up by the government, whilst working in some respects is penalising some genuine claimants.

Indeed, all benefit claimants are tarred with the same brush.

When I was involved with benefit fraud prosecutions we always checked to ensure that the claimant had claimed the correct benefits.

On numerous occasions yes they committed fraud but only because they couldn't make ends meet because they hadn't claimed all they should have claimed so we'd calculate how much they should have claimed & offset it against any fraud overpayment.

Quite often the correct claim wiped out the fraud overpayment but they'd still committed fraud so my usual action was to give them a bollocking rather than prosecute.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »
Doesn't that say more about the over-complexity of the system though Phil?  I imagine that anyone who has the anxiety of being unemployed or unwell will find that the convolutions that they have to think through only increases any anxiety and makes getting into a better place for themselves even more difficult.  I must admit this is a big flag to me for Basic Income.

Phil

« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
Doesn't that say more about the over-complexity of the system though Phil?  I imagine that anyone who has the anxiety of being unemployed or unwell will find that the convolutions that they have to think through only increases any anxiety and makes getting into a better place for themselves even more difficult.  I must admit this is a big flag to me for Basic Income.

You may well be right about the complexity but the claimants only had to ask.

The stress of being investigated & interviewed must have been far greater than the stress of finding out the correct procedure.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
You may well be right about the complexity but the claimants only had to ask.

The stress of being investigated & interviewed must have been far greater than the stress of finding out the correct procedure.

It's sometimes knowing what questions to ask.  After losing out twenty years ago, I wouldn't make the same mistake now, in fact I've helped others with claims.

My OH had worked for over 30 years, 20+ self employed when he had a serious heart attack. He was disabled by it, he couldn't walk more than a few yards, and needed his nitro glycerine spray even when resting. He claimed, and got, Incapacity benefit. Because I worked, we were told by the benefits office, that he couldn't claim anything else due to means testing. We accepted what the professional told us. We didn't know about DLA, why would we.  It took three years for him to be well enough for surgery then to be signed off as fit.  So I understand why some people don't know what to claim.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
surely 'the social' should be there to help, not hinder
they should be informing claimants
in 63 i think it was there was a big freeze and building sites closed for almost three months i went into Doncaster 'labour exchange' to sign on and  was asked by an ignorant bitch if i had considered going home !!!
after a few well chosen words she was changed for a man who put the claim thru with no problem...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”