Author Topic: Independent Age  (Read 1839 times)

crabbyob

Independent Age
« on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
it seems Independent Age is a charity to help you find out just what you can claim for there are likely lots that we can claim for and dont
is a number you can ring for a booklet on what you might claim...
it might be worth a call if things are tight
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

Re: Independent Age
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
There was a benefit I heard about years ago which not many people were aware of.  It was, if you are a full time carer and receive Carers Allowance then you are entitled to a one off payment for a holiday.  I don't know whether this still applies today, probably not.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
Why ;D ;D ;D ???

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »
i was going to suggest you became my carer, then you could come on holiday

minniemouse

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »
Seeing how cheap the alcohol is out there, I think the tables would be turned  8) :P

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
you just drift back to your residence, on a cloud...

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
I like to keep in touch with what is going on in the benefits world so have signed up to this and get regular (but no too often) emails.  If you go to https://www.independentage.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo7ieopHX1gIVg58bCh0QGAc3EAAYASAAEgJZbvD_BwE and scroll down there is a place where you can sign up to get them.  With benefits and lives changing so quickly it is worth keeping in touch with what is happening.

Minnimouse I wonder if the holiday came as a reward for actually being recognised as a carer as it is very difficult to pass the thresholds.  One of them is that you have to be looking after someone for 35 hours a week.  However unless your income at State Pension Age is less than the Carer's Allowance of £62.70 a week you will not get this although being an eligible can open doors to other benefits.  If your income at State Pension Age is less than £62.7 a week then it would be made up to the £62.70 (and you would also be eligible for Pension Credit)

This page tells you about taking a break as a carer and what is available http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/taking-a-break
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.