Author Topic: Cats in your garden?  (Read 2294 times)

zoony

Cats in your garden?
« on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
I just read a piece in the paper supporting an opinion expressed on GQT that the answer to these feline felons is to hang up a cucumber or two. Cats, for some reason, are frightened of them. Go figure..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

peterpensioner

Re: Cats in your garden?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
Try moth balls (no innuendo intended) - they don't like the smell.

minniemouse

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
Cats have an inbuilt fear of snakes.  I would guess that's why they fear cucumbers because they confuse them with snakes.  A good deterrent is to buy a plastic/rubber toy snake/s and place on the lawn. Periodically move it about so they don't realise its not real!
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »
The plastic snake sounds like a good idea.  I have a cat that runs my neighbours home and is vicious - it goes for the ankles.  I'm afraid I resorted to a water pistol (and, at times, a small grandchild with water pistol as he is a better shot :-[ ).  It doesn't come in now but sits on the fence staring balefully and waiting for the moment we are not there.  Most cats I like but this one ....
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
i quite like animals and try not to hurt them, i have in the past resorted to the water pistol... i have seen some amazing video's of cats eating then someone places a courgette behind them, so when they turn they do somersaults to get away from them, which is really quite funny...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:17:20 PM »
Many years ago we got a little black kitten. Cute little thing. I'd been outside working on laying a patio and was taking a break sitting in a deck chair and the garden hose, which we were using at times, was lying next to my chair and stretched the length of the lawn. The kitten, being new to the house was exploring and suddenly stopped dead about 15ft away, staring at the end of the hose pipe and sidling around it stiff-legged. I reached down and gave the hose a twist which made it move. The kitten instantly shot about 6ft in the air twisting and already air-running away like in a cartoon before she hit the ground. Took me a long time to stop grinning.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D .... i am taking a laser pointer with me to tease all the cats and dogs in the area...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
When I moved into this house my neighbours cat was quite vicious and whenever I was in the garden would go for my ankles.  She obviously thought this was her territory and I was an interloper.  I bought some cat treats and now she is too friendly, no more biting but every time she hears my kitchen door open she leaps round here meowing for some treats.     
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
I think next-doors moggy is given treats, etc., but not by me; I just don't trust him ... or her ... or it.  Its the ankles attached to the body that holds the hand that feeds him that he attacks the most.  When he sits on the fence he sort of overhangs and Cheshire Cat grins - very shiver making.  I have never come across a cat quite like him and we had one called Lucy - short for Lucifer - so you can guess her temperament.  And then there was one that came with a house we bought - Nelson, one eye, half and ear and he didn't care who he did battle with.

Actually I'm beginning to think I maybe just a dog person!
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
And it figures that the moggy next door senses that quite strongly. Don't die on the kitchen floor with the door open is my advise or you'll be Kit-E-Kat! ;D

cowboy wisdom.

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
I tried to love cats and bought one instead of a dog, my usual choice.  It's natural habit to kill mice and birds finished me off.  It shouldn't have, people finish each other off with or without always killing.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
Don't they just Firenze.  There are lovely communities though, and wonderful families and friends; I know they are the most important thing in the world to me and that has often included the furry members of the family. 

Did you eventually get another dog after your experience with the cat?

firenze

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »
I did get another Dog UP, the cat went when told I would cut his tail off if he got under my feet whilst I cut the hedge, I never saw Him again.

Mark Twain.

fortyone

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
I tried to love cats and bought one instead of a dog, my usual choice.  It's natural habit to kill mice and birds finished me off.  It shouldn't have, people finish each other off with or without always killing.
The local villains don't dump the corpses on your carpet though.

After a local cat left us presents from the other end I just got one of those ultrasonic cat deterrent units off eBay. Cost about £10 and works - no more deposits.

firenze

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
Quite 'fortyone'! this handsome cat of mine dropped what must have been a full nest of dead baby bluetits on my doorstep. He didn't stay to hear my unladylike tirade.

Mark Twain.